ID Request - New Bees Only

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Frick and Frack? Cheech and Chong? Yin and Yang? :sagrin:

I don't need an ID on these two but thought I would offer a place for some of our new/potential keepers to try to determine species. If you participate, put what you see that makes you decide on a species choice. There is method in my madness :bonk:. I am going to present at TONMOCON IV and have chosen hobbiest ID as my topic so I am looking for ideas on how a person new to octopuses sees the animal.

These two have not arrived yet but will be here tomorrow morning. The photos are from the supplier. Enlarging the picture by clicking on it may be helpful

Capture Location: FL Keys. Left: under a bridge, Right: top of a reef in shallow water
Mantle Size: pinky fingernail on left, quarter size on right

Attachments

• conv_304493.jpg
    conv_304493.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • conv_304494.jpg
    conv_304494.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 192
I'm not a potential keeper or an octopus newbie, but I need to hone my octopus identification skills.

Octopus briareus?

Reasons:
-not got purpley eyes or eyespots
-from Florida
-could be hummelincki, but more likely it's a briareus .

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll comment on all guesses in a day or two in hopes of getting a few observations :sagrin:

I would like a link to an octo with "purpley eyes" though. This is already proving to be helpful on other people's observations.

Upvote 0
I'd say O. briareus because of the long arms and the green spots and eyes. IMO, the arms look to long to be a Hummelincki or Vulgaris. But, I'm just learning. :read: :wink:

Upvote 0
I'd agree with Briareus though I don't see the spot on either side below the eyes. But the green coloring with the long arms matches up with what I have at home. Plus the locations jive with where they'd be.

Upvote 0
Ah! You are doing a presentation on Hobbiest ID?! I really wish I could go. I remember talking to you about a quick ID clue page a while ago. Is there any way that TONMOCON presentations could be recorded or have like a live webcam or something for people who couldn't make it?

Upvote 0
yeah im def a noobie. and other than the location of where it was collected i wouldn't have a clue as to how to identify this species. i would like to hear your presentation on how you identify these guys.

Upvote 0
I did a google search with "Octopus" and "green eyes" since that is the most striking feature in the photo. I was surprised that I didn't find a useful ID that way. The only way I know of to get an ID (if a google search fails) is to post pictures on Tonmo and ask, so I too would enjoy seeing the presentation.

Upvote 0
I'm very new and cheating a bit by using the ID post you put up before. From that I reckon Briareus cause of the peach mottling and luminous green spots.
Any good?

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back