ID Request - New Bees Only

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Frick and Frack? Cheech and Chong? Yin and Yang? :sagrin:

I don't need an ID on these two but thought I would offer a place for some of our new/potential keepers to try to determine species. If you participate, put what you see that makes you decide on a species choice. There is method in my madness :bonk:. I am going to present at TONMOCON IV and have chosen hobbiest ID as my topic so I am looking for ideas on how a person new to octopuses sees the animal.

These two have not arrived yet but will be here tomorrow morning. The photos are from the supplier. Enlarging the picture by clicking on it may be helpful

Capture Location: FL Keys. Left: under a bridge, Right: top of a reef in shallow water
Mantle Size: pinky fingernail on left, quarter size on right

Attachments

• conv_304493.jpg
    conv_304493.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • conv_304494.jpg
    conv_304494.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 137
I'm not a potential keeper or an octopus newbie, but I need to hone my octopus identification skills.

Octopus briareus?

Reasons:
-not got purpley eyes or eyespots
-from Florida
-could be hummelincki, but more likely it's a briareus .

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thanks, I'll comment on all guesses in a day or two in hopes of getting a few observations :sagrin:

I would like a link to an octo with "purpley eyes" though. This is already proving to be helpful on other people's observations.

Upvote 0

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I'd say O. briareus because of the long arms and the green spots and eyes. IMO, the arms look to long to be a Hummelincki or Vulgaris. But, I'm just learning. :read: :wink:

Upvote 0

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
I'd agree with Briareus though I don't see the spot on either side below the eyes. But the green coloring with the long arms matches up with what I have at home. Plus the locations jive with where they'd be.

Upvote 0