ID please, or educated guess at least (Australian)

Ash

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi Guys & Gals,

picked up this little guy from a local store the other day in Townsville, QLD Australia. I believe the collection point for the live rock he was found with was Cairns, QLD Aust.

LFS believes he is a "dwarf reef octopus", nice & vague.

Firstly, in the bag
100_7771.jpg

In the tank - for reference the live rock behind him is about tennis ball sized
100_7773.jpg

He has changed colour when he went into the tank to more match his surroundings.

I can't really tell you much more, will try to get more photos but he appears to be nocturnal which makes getting the shots a little hard - what is a good colour light to view him without disturbing him at night, red?

Cheers
Ash

Ash

Cuttlefish
Registered
Um, I read in the "blue ring on a finger" thread that the rings only appear when they are stressed - if it was one it would have shown the rings in the bag being a quite stressful situation, right?

Cause if it is a blue ring I'm definately taking it back, I hope it isn't, but reading that they rings can disappear I'm a little worried cause my guy is about that ballpark size.

Upvote 0
You should search for blue ring images and see if you find a good match... but there are a lot of lookalike's when it comes to octo's. I thought they were usually a pale yellow, brightening up when they flash their rings. I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Here is one photo of TONMO member tjw13's BRO.
I believe the rings are always visible, but are normally (in the relaxed state) much duller and greyer, on a dull yellow or tan mantle, like this; when aggravated, the rings flash vivid, brilliant blue on a bright yellow mantle, like this.
But I am far from the most experienced person here in terms of octopus ID and keeping!

Upvote 0
I found it could be a baby Cyanea from doing a search for "Australian reef octopus". That would be crazy. You'd basically need a swimming pool for it if it is. There are just so dang many species. Then again, it's eyes appear somewhat over-sized. Could very well be a dwarf.

Upvote 0
Tintenfisch;101662 said:
Here is one photo of TONMO member tjw13's BRO.
I believe the rings are always visible, but are normally (in the relaxed state) much duller and greyer, on a dull yellow or tan mantle, like this; when aggravated, the rings flash vivid, brilliant blue on a bright yellow mantle, like this.
But I am far from the most experienced person here in terms of octopus ID and keeping!

Note that those pictures aren't all of the same species. I doubt yours is a blue ring though, looks like a dwarf to me.

Upvote 0
Blue ring's arms wouldn't be as long as that I don't think, and they don't seem to hold themselves in that position when they sit, they are squatter.

The Indo species are a more drab brown colour and the spots are pretty hard to see, Australian ones are much brighter and as a result reflect the fact that they are much mroe dangerous (if there are degrees in the levals of "Fatal!)

Generally not good pets though BROs and as a result i'd steer clear.

Either way it's a cracking little octo!

Upvote 0