ID please :) he’s tiny and brown lol video inside!

Hadla

Wonderpus
Registered
Just labeled as brown pacific octopus in my lfs which doesn’t tell you isht XD the owner that I kinda know well says they don’t come with any other info :frown: if better pics are needed I’ll go back tomorrow when they open at 11... I have no idea how to begin to even id them

Attachments

• 2A60E681-6FC9-4909-A0AA-0B5A88F87393.MOV
    19.7 MB · Views: 122
Sorry about the video issues - working on an embedded solution; meanwhile you can use the Media gallery if you like to add any vids to TONMO, then you can easily embed the video in any posts in the forums.

Thanks for sharing it -- hope you get an ID soon... pretty typical LFS story... "it's an octopus!" often seems to be the extent of it!

Upvote 0
I don't think it is O. mercatoris (Caribbean dwarf) . The images don't give a lot of detail but based on the size and what we have been seeing a group of (often we will see a number of the same species show up within a few weeks or months of each other) I suggest looking at these posts for O. bocki.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to be sure it’s not a cold water species... I’ve contacted the Monterey bay aquarium to see if they’d take it as a donation if it gets too big for me so I’ll have some kinda plan in place...

Upvote 0
Fortunately, it is very unlikely to be a cold water species. I suspect it is an adult dwarf so size should not be a problem. Most octopuses for sale in the US will either be Caribbean or imported from the Philippines (also warm water).

Upvote 0
Also, I’ll fill the tank with 5 gallons of their saltwater so I don’t have to worry about acclimating right away... going to buy a new critter container or something similar to bring him home in, then just put that in the closed tank and let him venture out when he wants... does this sound like a good plan? Also yay I’ve been promoted to Pygmy octopus!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Hadla,

Is the tank you're using to keep your octo just a 10 gallon? That would be a bit too small for a dwarf octopus. Ideally you would probably want at least a 15-20 gallon that's well cycled and has a sump with a protein skimmer. What's your set up currently like? Happy to help with any questions you may have.

Upvote 0
Ideally he’d go into my 29 biocube but he’d get lost in there! And I’m potentially still dealing with oenone fulgida worms in it :/

Oooooo I do have a 29g sump that’s with my almost empty 75! I’ll just have to fix it up for him

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back