Id on octopus i am looking into

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hi, this is a picture of an octopus that i might buy, but i rather not buy until i get an id on it. Unfortunately, as is usual, the seller doesn't know were it came from. I attached a picture of it. The seller is in California, so it might be from around there but i don't see any eye spots that would suggest it's a bimac.
Thanks

Attachments

• conv_303174.jpg
    conv_303174.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 130
unfortunately it sounds like the seller is just trying to make a sale... because his answer to animal mother was "yes" ...like oh of course, it is whatever you want it to be

sorry simple but I think with the answer california, mexico and florida... those are probably the places that they get them from... not nessecarilly that the one would be found in all three places... well, to them it is the same in all three places because it is a "brown octopus" don't you know.. lol

If you really want an IDed octo this is not the one for you... imo

Upvote 0
Taollan;106598 said:
I am sorry to say, but I seriously doubt they are going to sell you that species of octopus. That picture is of an Antarctic octopus taken by researcher Seth White who has been down there. You can find his post featuring that picture at www.sethwhite.org/animals.htm
:roll:

Good eye Taollan, if I were a little less sleep deprived, I might have wondered why the LFS had crinoids and pycnogonids in with the octopus... as well as the fish...

Upvote 0
Just like when i was buying rays online 2 years ago and the supplier was sending me pics... I did a google image search and sure enough, there was the fish i was buying, but from a website a year or so previous.

It was the fish in the background of the tank that looked out of place as well as the single row of suckers. The curled arms and single rows is a bit like a Scottish species called Eledone. Although the eyes 'were not right'

Cheers

Upvote 0
I found something interesting when looking at the owners pictures :biggrin2:. In two of the shots, the octopus' eyes look almost W shaped like a cuttle due, I think to the eye "lid"

Upvote 0
Brown without eyespots could refer to O. Briareus, which would be found in the gulf and qualify 2 of the 3 places that the LFS worker mentioned. I doubt those spots were from his supplier though, he probably just told you places in on this continent that are popular for catching octopuses. Also, if it is labeled as 'brown octopus', it is likely the name that was on their supply list; do not condemn them just because of that. It is rare that you will find an LFS where anyone knows a thing about IDing octos, and if you do find one with experienced personnel without the ocean/region the octopus was collected from the ID would be nothing more than an educated guess.

Sorry if this was difficult to understand. I am substantially tired but wanted to browse the boards before I retire.

Upvote 0
Ok the seller sent me a picture of the actual octopus, so i guess we can try again with iding it..It doesn't look too much like Briareus, since i don't see a greenish tint, but it's not the best picture.

Attachments

• conv_292080.jpg
    conv_292080.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Simple,
I would say you can eliminate a pygmy, the legs are far too long. I see bumps but no horns but can't tell if the brownish looking mark is an eye spot or not. I see no hiding places and would say you can't eliminate nocturnal if the rest of the tank is as open as in the picture.

Upvote 0
If it is an eye spot it might be hummellincki (sp?). I see some sort of hole behind him that looks like it could be a possible hiding spot but you cant see it very well in the picture.

Upvote 0
do you guys think it might be a vulgaris? I also thought maybe cyanea from hawaii since it is sort of close to california, but it doesn't really look too much like the pictures of cyanea that i have seen..

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back