Id on octopus i am looking into

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hi, this is a picture of an octopus that i might buy, but i rather not buy until i get an id on it. Unfortunately, as is usual, the seller doesn't know were it came from. I attached a picture of it. The seller is in California, so it might be from around there but i don't see any eye spots that would suggest it's a bimac.
Thanks

Attachments

• conv_303174.jpg
    conv_303174.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 75

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Animal Mother;106590 said:
That would be way big for a pygmy.

I asked if it was native to or captured in California and this is what they told me

The only cephalopod I can think of off the top of my head that is native off California, Mexico, and Florida is Architeuthis dux.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

:rolleyes:

(actually, I think Vampyroteuthis infernalis, Arogonauta argo, and some deep-water squids the MBARI folks spy on are in both Atlantic and Pacific open ocean, but it was funnier before I though of that)

Upvote 0

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
haha, yes thats probably what it is..
my guess is that the seller isn't very knowledgeable at all about what species it is or were it came from, so he is just stating where "brown octopuses" are found in general, which probably includes several species that have been commonly called by this name.

Upvote 0

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
That octo is from Antarctica

I am sorry to say, but I seriously doubt they are going to sell you that species of octopus. That picture is of an Antarctic octopus taken by researcher Seth White who has been down there. You can find his post featuring that picture at www.sethwhite.org/animals.htm ..scroll a little ways down the page. My guess, from the uniserial suckers and where it is found, is that it is Pareledone sp. (perhaps P. charcoti?) Anyhow, that particular picture is completely uninformative as to what you will be sold. No antarctic species is being kept at 72-76 F.

Upvote 0

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
good eye, Taollan, I completely missed the uniserial suckers! (Of course, I bought into the idea that they took a picture of the actual octopus they're selling hook, line, and sinker... :sink: )

Upvote 0

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
unfortunately it sounds like the seller is just trying to make a sale... because his answer to animal mother was "yes" ...like oh of course, it is whatever you want it to be

sorry simple but I think with the answer california, mexico and florida... those are probably the places that they get them from... not nessecarilly that the one would be found in all three places... well, to them it is the same in all three places because it is a "brown octopus" don't you know.. lol

If you really want an IDed octo this is not the one for you... imo

Upvote 0
Taollan;106598 said:
I am sorry to say, but I seriously doubt they are going to sell you that species of octopus. That picture is of an Antarctic octopus taken by researcher Seth White who has been down there. You can find his post featuring that picture at www.sethwhite.org/animals.htm
:roll:

Good eye Taollan, if I were a little less sleep deprived, I might have wondered why the LFS had crinoids and pycnogonids in with the octopus... as well as the fish...

Upvote 0

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Just like when i was buying rays online 2 years ago and the supplier was sending me pics... I did a google image search and sure enough, there was the fish i was buying, but from a website a year or so previous.

It was the fish in the background of the tank that looked out of place as well as the single row of suckers. The curled arms and single rows is a bit like a Scottish species called Eledone. Although the eyes 'were not right'

Cheers

Upvote 0