ID if possible and any ideas how to remove

I got home from night shift at 6:30 this morning and it's still a bit dark so I decide to shine a torch into my tank and see if I can find anything cool. Well I guess you should be careful what you wish for.
I found this sneaky guy crawling across the back piece of glass. (sorry about the terrible photo, he's really fast)
20150328_063902_zpsb67pzmnc.jpg

While he must have been in there for at least a month now and not caused any harm my tank is no where near occy proof and I am petrified that it is a blue ring, anyone have any clue if there is a way to know?
Does anyone have any ideas how I could safely catch him? I am really worried having a possible blue ring in an unsecured tank with my 1 year old running around so I would like to remove it asap.
Any help is appreciated.

Haha thanks DWhatley, makes me feel a bit less stumped.

Hopefully since it has been in the tank for 2 months now it is growing and getting bigger so if I am still searching in another month or two it could be easier to see :P

Upvote 0
It's been a while since I checked this thread but I actually have a small update. My crab population has been in decline and until last night I thought there had only been 2-3 left for almost a month now (and quite large ones too). Occasionaly I see mangled crab remains on the sand bed. This could be the occy or my mantis or even both.
Working shift work helps as I reguarly finish at 2am and can grab a torch and check the tank. Well last night I got home and did my routine check, and as I am moving the torch from the left hand side over to the right I saw a blur fly faster than I thought possible from the top corner down to the bottom corner which is hidden by rocks. Whatever it was looked brown/orange and moved way too fast (and I was way too tired) for me to see any kind of shape but unless I was so tired I was seeing things then I have a pretty good idea of what it could have been.
After I determined it was gone and my chances at a decent sighting were nil I moved the torch back up to the top right hand corner to see why it was up there and lo and behold sitting ontop of a powerhead there is the only small crab I have seen in the tank in the last few weeks.
From this possible sighting I have concluded a couple of things:
1) If it was the octopus then it is still alive but running out of food. So I will endevour to go crab collecting soon to top up the supply.
2) This is only my second sighting if you can call it that, but both have been at night time. From what I know about blue rings they are diurnal hunters. So this is good news. It could still be a blue ring that is hunting at night as it is too shy with people around during the day but it is certainly a lot less likely.
From here I am going to visit the local aquarium and have a chat with the guy there and see if he knows what other species of octopus it could possibly be. I will also re-commence my attempts at trapping. I am going away for a few weeks soon so I will try to ensure there is ample crabs by then to keep it alive.
More than anything right now I would love to catch it and get an ID. Of course if I have any updates I will report back.
Cheers,
Macca

Upvote 0

Latest Posts