Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I highly appreciate any help. I'm completely ignorant to the different kinds of octopi. Recently I was in Korea and at the live seafood markets (yikes) and there were thousands of live octopus. The ones I am interested in identifying and learning more about are small and never seemed to be larger than about 9 or 10 inches big. It is possible I have clumped more than one kind of octopus together in my pictures.

Thanks for the help identifying!

Best,

E

Attachments

• IMG_4816.JPG
    IMG_4816.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4818.JPG
    IMG_4818.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5326.JPG
    IMG_5326.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5373.JPG
    IMG_5373.JPG
    726.6 KB · Views: 113

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I edited the original. Because the link is to an FTP download, it fails to directly open but you can copy the ftp url and paste it to your browser. It is a bit slow to load but you will only load 8 pages (not the humongous catalog). The membranaceus information is on page 206 of the catalog but page 8 of the download.

Here is a link to access the whole FAO cephalopod catalog . It is not a download but gives access to several options. I have found it best to Google, "FAO octopus" followed by the species name but there is also a linked index that will get a minimal download for the species (as with the 8 page section link above).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe these to be Japanese Long Arm Octopi. My research led me to believe that they are a mud flat dwelling species but can also be found in deeper waters in the Sea of Japan. They are a large egg species and I have witnessed only ne eating in my attempts to keep them and another that lived for 4 months but never ate. I kept them at around 60-65 degrees and found the most success in that range although they are kept at 50 degrees in food markets here in the states. I also witnessed mating when I kept them but it was aggressive enough to kill both in their weakened condition. I have a few videos that I think are linked in my Asian Food Market Octopus thread.

Upvote 0
Hi @davelin315! Thanks SO much. I believe you are correct in your identification. Now I am going to start focusing on some more extensive research attempts with that limited knowledge. Do you know what their scientific name is? Tenaga Dako seems to be their Japanese name but that does not provide any more search results than just typing in "Japanese long arm octopus". What I am really trying to get at is more detailed photos of them. If you have any clear photos I would appreciate them greatly.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0
If you go to around :20 in this video
and skip ALL the rest of it... that is the kind of octopus I kept seeing at every fish market in Korea. I believe we are talking about the same kind. @davelin315 does that look like the same one you are talking about?

Upvote 0