ID Help Please!

Tommy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi,

First I'd like to thank all the TONMO contributors. I've been a lurker for several months now, and I have found the site to be both an interesting and invaluable octopus resource. Two days ago, I acquired my first octo, Lumbzykin, so I felt compelled to finally register.

As first order of business, I'm hoping to ID my new octo. While the LFS seemed knowledgeable about care, all the info they could offer was that it is a juvenile "Caribbean" octopus and not a pygmy. It is a little bigger than a golf ball when balled up and its total arm span seems to be about 8". Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what it might be. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures, but I wanted to avoid frightening it with a flash. The first two show what might be its normal coloration while I was drip acclimating it (pictured with an emerald crab) - tan with dark brown striped patterns. The third shows it right after being placed into the tank. Upon entering the water, it promptly changed to a solid blue/brown and jetted out of sight behind live rock.

DSCN5196.jpg

DSCN5195.jpg

DSCN5198.jpg

Additionally, while I'm glad I've provided plenty of hiding places, I haven't seen the octopus since placing it in the tank. I know it is eating based upon empty crab shells, but I would like to know when I might expect it to become a little braver and venture out from its hiding spot so that i can enjoy it. I'll try to add better pictures once it does.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Tommy

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
:welcome: Tommy! The blue/green sheen and less tapered arms in photo number three appear to indicate O. briareus, more than anything else, but as usual, ID from these pics alone is a hard to do affair. Any additional photographs will therefore be most appreciated in aiding your ID.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Tommy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Thanks for the responses. I decided to set up a webcam to snap pics upon motion detection, aimed it at the entrance to what I think Lumbzykin has chosen as a den, and left it running while I was at work today. Apparently, my octopus was moving around the tank during the afternoon while the tank lights were on and the webcam got a few decent pictures, which I posted on my photobucket account for anyone interested and to shed more light on the species.

01-22143435.jpg

http://s771.photobucket.com/albums/xx352/xtomcx/?action=view&current=01-22143434.jpg&newest=1

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
This will be the first time I have suggested this species and it is mostly by elimination.

Please remember that the photos are not clear and octos can present enough different looks to mystify the best of the experts. I am a hobbiest and still novice but will list my reasons so that you can try to discount them on further observations:

I eliminated joubini because there is way too much webbing
I elminated mercatoris because of color, webbing and arm to mantle ratio
I eliminated briareus because of the coloring and arm taper shown in your other photos
I eliminated hummelincki/filosus bacause of the amount of webbing and arm length to body ratio (this would be my second guess though so look for eye spots).

That leaves only one other common octopus that works for the Caribbean and none of my eilminations exclude it but we don't see much of them. Look at the photos below and see if anyone can eliminate this one :sagrin:

If I am correct, I am jealous, it will get fairly large, you won't see much in the way of skin papilla (bumps) and you have a young one.

Oh, and you can cheat by putting your mouse over the photo to see my guess if you have not figured it out.

Attachments

• conv_295860.jpg
    conv_295860.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
Upvote 0

Tommy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Thank you for the responses, all. I'm seeing a little more of my octopus every day, so maybe I can start getting some better, clearer pictures to upload.

Anyway, right now, I'm hoping the Briareus id's are correct, because if it is by some chance a Vulgaris, I'm afraid I'll be forced to put it up for adoption in a few months as I simply can't do justice to an octopus that large with my setup.

Upvote 0

Tommy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I have a standard dimension 75 gallon main tank with a second 30 gallon tank I partitioned to serve as both a sump tank for filtering and a refugium for feeder crabs and other smaller creatures. There is about a 3" deep sand bed and 65 pounds of live rock in the main tank.

Upvote 0