Ichiban - O. hummelincki

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Ever since my LFS learned of my octopus adventures the owner, Kay, always made a point a telling me he could get octopuses, but that he knew nothing about them. The only information he had was that it came from his supplier in California. I decided to go ahead and get one of these mystery octopuses.

DSCN2368.jpg

This is a terrible picture, but its was the best I could get for now. I am pretty sure the octopus is a Hummelincki. . I'll get mearsuments when I release it into the tank.

YAY woo WHOOO Its a hummelincki!!!! I just released it into the tank, ans i saw the Ocellus, also the arms are the correct ratio

Can you change my title, at first I though he had really long arms, but now that its in the tank I see they are short.

I put this guy into my 55 gallon that previously housed Waldo.

his mantle is just under 2 inches. but that is just a guess. I'll use my calipers later when he is on the glass.

right now he is jut exploring around acting like a scared little octopus.

It will be interesting to see if there is an identifiable influence of one octo over the other if they can see each other. I am convinced briareus have myserable eyesight but hummelincki seem to see pretty well.

I thought about that but the tanks are all pretty close, I tried to spread them out but I can't cause I live in a shoebox. the 55 faces my 125 and is 8' away, across the room and 18" higher. 23" over and 18" down from the 55 is the 38T with Izzy, so they might see each other one day. My cat usually sits on top of the 38 and watches the 55.

Pen is most curious about what I was doing with the tank thats for sure but i dont think he saw I was handling another octopus. Pen has a 40 closest to him just on the other side of my computer, and if I do anything in that tank he watches intensely.

If there is an influence, it will be interesting to see if the new one becomes a pistol or if Penn starts behaving. I have seen the slightest amount of what could be called jealous behavior a couple of times. The most interesting was when I was filming the movements of a starfish in Serendipity's tank. Dipity never became overtly friendly and brooded shortly after introduction to the tank so the "fly by" behavior to check out why the star was getting attention was particularly noticable.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back