• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I want to have a pet octopus

bluezombie

Blue Ring
Registered
For sure i'm NOT going to rush it. But my local fish store is run by teenagers who just seem to be there to tell you what they have and to sell you stuff. So i wouldn't trust them knowing much about octopus, since they don't even have any in the store. I'd like to know what kind of sand they prefer, What i can put in the aquarium to make it look nicer, and what NOT to put in. (excluding other fish). I want to know what i'll need to buy, and how to prepare my aquarium to recieve the octopus.

Also i would very much like an octopus that will live decently long, in general, for it's species. I don't want to spend a fortune on an animal and a setup for it to die after a few months.So which species of octopus live longest? (That can be held in captivity in standard aquariums)

You should get your setup, get familiar with keeping your tank and water in good condition, and then focus on your octopus. It's ALL tricky at first, and it will be really hard to try and juggle all of those chores at once.

It sounds like you have a "chain" store, like a Petco. I'd try to find a store that specializes in aquariums and aquatic creatures. Those employees will almost definitely be more educated on the subjects you ask questions about. Like Jean suggested, maybe you can find a city aquarium close enough you can visit and talk to the staff, maybe even volunteer. That would be the most ideal, but I know those type of places aren't real convenient for everyone, unfortunately.

Click on the "Articles" link underneath the large TONMO logo at the top left of the screen. There are some great articles there to get you started.

You're probably going to want to go with a captive bred octopus if you want the longest lived specimen. There are members here who can supply you with one when the time is right. Keep in mind, you may have to wait weeks, or even months before you can get one. Otherwise, you have to order one from an online store, and you won't know what you're going to get or how old it will be. This is going to be the case most of the time, the only down side to keeping cephs.

Reefcentral.com has some really good information! You might do some reading there too. I studied up and started keeping saltwater tanks about 2 years before I got an octopus, and still, there's a lot to be learned with the actual experience. Be careful what and where you read, because there is a lot of misinformation on the web. If you can find a copy of the June 2007 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, there are several really great articles in there also.

bluezombie

Blue Ring
Registered
Well my local stores (all of them) said they don't want to order any octopuses... They said they know nothing about them and it would be too risky. How would i be to ordering one online, though? Wouldn't the octopus die in shipping?

Fishfreak218

GPO
Registered
Also just a comment, do not expect an octo to live over 10-12 months. The octo's with the larger lifespan can get huge and are best left to either REALLY rich, knowledgable people and public aquariums. All the common species live to about a year old, and yours will probably already be a few months old by the time you get it. Dwarf octo's can have a shorter life span

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
bluezombie;100755 said:
Well my local stores (all of them) said they don't want to order any octopuses... They said they know nothing about them and it would be too risky. How would i be to ordering one online, though? Wouldn't the octopus die in shipping?

Kudos to your LFS for being willing to admit it when they don't know something...

Octopuses seem to do OK shipped by people who have a lot of experience, although fly-by-night octopus dealers like random ebay sellers should probably not be trusted to know what they're doing. It's important to coordinate with the shipper to make sure you're home when they arrive, and to be all set up for immediate acclimation to get it happily in its new home as quickly as is safe.

There is a lot of concern that if an octo inks during shipping, it's a major problem, but in practice the suppliers around TONMO tend to have a very good success rate... even in a few knuckle-biting incidents of the shipping company losing the octo in the mail for a few days, there doesn't seem to be a high fatality rate. Still, it's always preferable to find a reputable, experienced dealer...

Latest Posts