• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I think im going to take the advice to try cuttles

alright i too have been watching this thread now for a while and im irritated slightly also so im going to add to this bashing

first of all every octo has its own personality... the ones you got just lack a personality and hide its not thier fault so dont bash all octos because of it and if you had done enough research you would have found before you got them that octos hide for most of their lives and usually only come out in the wild to eat breed and find a new home. not to play with people... second... if you want something that is always in front of you begging for food try a dog... reef tank... fowler tank... birds... turtles... but for gods sake dont try a ceph... they are slightly different. they have other things to do in their free time than beg you for food and try to please you. third. the reason aquariums were invented in the first place was to study specimens and learn about them not to be entertained... yes we do like the enjoyment of them but if you think about it the only reason we keep them is due to a facination with them and we want to study them to learn more about them so instead of complaining about bordem learn from your octos and then use those teachings for the next time you pick a pet so you know what you want. and last if your asking people about wether or not you should try cuttles dont sit there and bash octos first because more than likely everyone here who has cuttles now also had or has octos because they are facinated by them also and complaining about octos behaviors isnt going to win them over.

ok im done now... sorry for that just had to get it out...

I agree with corw314, I didnt realise they were both in the same tank.

I'm sure that this will cause some behavorial changes - your tank is huge compared to most but in terms of how close these animals live in the wild very overcrowded. In the wild I believe they live at an approximate density of 1 per 10m maximum.
Since they are very teritorial especially over their den they are probably very worried about the other one stealing their home - and eating them :smile: .
Are you able to release one of the octos or perhaps sell him to one of the people here to increase yours and the octos enjoyment of your big tank? Or perhaps move one to a smaller tank that could be hooked up on the same system.

From what I gather from many peoples experiences an octo will only come out after it feels completely safe - and its hard to do that when theres a potential murderer next door. :biggrin2:

they arent together aymore

they are not together anymore and havent been for some time

im selling the smallest one to the petstore friday and then im keeping them big one till it dies from old age or wahtever cause

and Im then getting

fish, corals, ect. again

im ready for my tank to be intresting again .

u guys can rant all u want.

i think what I think , u think what you think

how the world works lol

Yeah, but feel sorry for the corals and fish...
Hopefully, it'll be plastic coral and some feeders...even that is sad.

Well, corals don't swim around or shake hands, so with a little luck Veruca will get tired of these, too, and get out of the hobby.

Dan

Marinerules, I hope things work out with your single octopus in the tank.

At least he can can have an unstressed life now. It just has not worked out well in the instances we know about with two octos in a single tank, however largethe tank. One larger species would probably have been more successful, but it's hard to find a vulgaris. I know we discussed this much earlier.

Try interacting with him, giving him his food or put a toy in. You may have a shy octo, or again maybe not. Many of them become more outgoing as they get older and as you pay attention to them.

Nancy

thanks nancy

I got to remembering how i liked watching them eat live crabs , crawfish , i found a website where I can get a minimum order of 10 lbs of live bait size crawfish.

im getting those in here in 2 weeks

its 60 bucks including overnight shipping

marinerules said:
I got to remembering how i liked watching them eat live crabs , crawfish , i found a website where I can get a minimum order of 10 lbs of live bait size crawfish.

im getting those in here in 2 weeks

its 60 bucks including overnight shipping

Try handfeeding! to start with he may not come out and you'll have to drop the food in for him, but eventually he may start to associate your hand with food and become more interactive.

We did have one however who remained very shy throughout his life. He hid right up the back of the tank in a pipe den.........quite an issue for a public aquarium. We'd leave him alone unless someone specifically asked to see an octopus........then we had a shielded torch handy and could shine it on him. He never did interact with us...............the next one was always out, always ready for a game of tug o war with the nets, the helping hand, the arm of a staff member, whatever he could grab hold of!!!!!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back