• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

I think im going to take the advice to try cuttles

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Yeah, but feel sorry for the corals and fish...
Hopefully, it'll be plastic coral and some feeders...even that is sad.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Well, corals don't swim around or shake hands, so with a little luck Veruca will get tired of these, too, and get out of the hobby.

Dan

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Marinerules, I hope things work out with your single octopus in the tank.

At least he can can have an unstressed life now. It just has not worked out well in the instances we know about with two octos in a single tank, however largethe tank. One larger species would probably have been more successful, but it's hard to find a vulgaris. I know we discussed this much earlier.

Try interacting with him, giving him his food or put a toy in. You may have a shy octo, or again maybe not. Many of them become more outgoing as they get older and as you pay attention to them.

Nancy

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
thanks nancy

I got to remembering how i liked watching them eat live crabs , crawfish , i found a website where I can get a minimum order of 10 lbs of live bait size crawfish.

im getting those in here in 2 weeks

its 60 bucks including overnight shipping

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
marinerules said:
I got to remembering how i liked watching them eat live crabs , crawfish , i found a website where I can get a minimum order of 10 lbs of live bait size crawfish.

im getting those in here in 2 weeks

its 60 bucks including overnight shipping

Try handfeeding! to start with he may not come out and you'll have to drop the food in for him, but eventually he may start to associate your hand with food and become more interactive.

We did have one however who remained very shy throughout his life. He hid right up the back of the tank in a pipe den.........quite an issue for a public aquarium. We'd leave him alone unless someone specifically asked to see an octopus........then we had a shielded torch handy and could shine it on him. He never did interact with us...............the next one was always out, always ready for a game of tug o war with the nets, the helping hand, the arm of a staff member, whatever he could grab hold of!!!!!

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecretCXMan

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak