• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I need some more help

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Right now i have 265$ to spend all on am octo. However, i dont want to waste money on things i dont need. So if someone can give me a site to get good deals on supplies or give me the name of a store or something it would be great. Also, i would like more info on ceph care in general. Where is that link again? Colin said that it will take a long time to read, but i will read it 10x if i have to.

P.S Thanks alot for answering my post earlier.

Hi Rockthis,

The link that you want is actually an article by Colin here on this website under Ceph Care

Cephalopod Care

It's called Equipment List, but in addition to discussing the equipment you need, it contains some general ceph keeping information.

Setting up a tank with an octopus isn't something you can do quickly - you'll need to set up a salt water aquarium and let it cycle. So take your time and read through the article, visit the links, and make a list of what you'll need. Then you can start shopping around.

When you look back through the ceph care forums and the older messages, you'll come across some discussion of costs and how to reduce them. Sometimes your local aquarium stores have good sales, and sometimes you can buy reliable equipment at good prices used.

You're going to need at least a 30 gallon tank (better to buy the tank locally rather than risk shipping).

So, you have some work to do!

All the best,

Nancy

perhaps you could print out parts of the list and take it with you to a good aquarium shop and talk it through with them?

Ask lots of questions! We'll all be happy to try to help you out.

I might additionally recommend doing some online shopping. I agree supporting your LFS (Local Fish Shop) is important, but especially if you're on a tight budget you'll be facing some seriously high overhead costs factored into the products.

You may still have budgetary issues. The larger a tank you can start with, the better, and live rock comes very, very highly recommended--it's not required, but it makes everything SO much easier, and it's cool besides. If you find you can't afford your ideal setup, perhaps you can do it in stages--tank, stand, and basic equipment first, which you could set up and cycle with very cheap fish (future octopus food! :twisted: ) until you can afford fancier stuff appropriate to cephkeeping like a skimmer and live rock.

Anyway, check it out, ask lotsa questions, then do what you think best! And don't let it intimidate you. We'll be here for ya...

rusty

One good reason to go to a good LFS (or two) is to actually see the equipment, see what live rock looks like, and hear what the LFS has to say about what's on your list. You can ask them for a written estimate of what the things on your list will cost. Often an LFS has a whole range of prices in stands and tanks.

You can then compare with getting things online, but bear in mind you may need the support and help of your LFS as you learn to keep a salt water aquarium, so you may want to buy some things there.

When you learn more about what you need for an octopus, you can investigate buying a used tank and equipment, too.

Rusty is right - check it all out, don't be in a hurry, and ask lots of questions.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back