• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I may not be who your think I am!

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Octopus vary in their ability and motivation to change species typical patterns and colors. This individual has assumed an unusual appearance. Can you still identify it?

Roy

Attachments

• conv_304496.jpg
    conv_304496.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
I am guessing that those very round dots up the arm put it in the Adopus family. I am going with Adopus #5 because of the stripes and dots pattern on the arm, the webbing (but you can't really see the webbing at the arm end where it is more distinctive), the arms look thicker than aculeatus as compared to the mantle and I know you have a pair :biggrin2: but it still looks like Norman's abaculus for the same reasons.

One of the things I want to do if there is time in October is to go over the markings of the commons we keep and then show photos where one can easily look like another :sagrin:

I was going with CaptFish's suggestion before I saw that he suggested O. defilippi so I blew the photo up all the way and noticed the eyes make a pecular V shape with a top notch horn. In spite of the fact that it looks nothing like any of the photos or videos I have seen, the eyes and the title will let me make an unlikely guess of Thaumoctopus mimicus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back