I "had" a pet squid.

What a fascinating discussion!!! Pretty amazing you at least got almost 24 with Squidward! I would love to hear what both you and Jean do at work!!

Carol

joel_ang said:
that was a cuttle not a squid in the pic.

it was a squid, it just looks kinda like a cuttle due to the way its hanging off the shell....

besides, cuttles dont live around the mid atlantic (at least on this side of the pond)

its hard to see the fins on the squid... between the sand and the shell that he's laying in.... plus i shrunk the pic to save space.... ill see if i can still find a big version....

I'm not sure how stressed my squid were. They always got eaten (or sucked through a power head) before they had a chance to settle in.
They usually seemed quite happy. They would sleep attached to the power cords or to the side glass. They seemed fairly calm (until they got chased of course).

I remember having one for a couple of weeks once. I had about 24 clowns at the national marine science centre, Australia. I fed them live inch long praws and so had a tank with a few hundred of them in it (no predators). one squid lasted a couple of weeks in there until he got sucked down a drain (tanks were on a seawater flow through system)

Maybe I should see how long one lasts without any predators or large water sucking things in the tank. cause they're always easy to get.

Stephen

Maybe it was a cuttle, WK...just swam over to get some chinese take out! (tired of bangers and mash?) :biggrin2:
It is too bad they are soooo skitish, can you see a nice big tank with a school of Loligo? Neat.
greg

OK Folks Here's what I as an Aquarist /educator do. We Are a small aquarium so our staff tend to be jacks (or jills) of all trades! We look after the animals and their environment, collect animals and seaweeds, are the emergency technicians/security at weekends for the aquarium and laboratory (which includes plumbing!!!!!), we do front of house work (ie relieve you of your money!) take guided tours, holiday programmes etc. As far as the education side, we have a variety of programmes which link into the NZ school curriculum (we have one called Suckers and Tentacles on cephs!). We teach from pre school through high school and University level and also run professional courses (Marine Mammal Tour Operators course for eg) and Adults groups from Museum groups (we had a British Museum Group last year) to Cruise ship passengers and special interest tours. Where we don't have a course that a particular group wants we will design one. We also do tours on combination with other operators on the Otago Peninsula such as the Royal Albatross Centre. And we run sleepovers, birthday parties...night visits...etc etc

We do shore walks, Maori fishing technology, Marine Chemistry, Marine Geology, Marine Biology, Ecotourism and laboratory investigations...even seaweed eating! Any group that visits gets an aquarium tour of course.

So we're very diverse and flexible.

Check out our website....

http://www.otago.ac.nz/MarineStudies/

Cheers

j

Sounds fascinating Jean!!! We need a program like that here!! I would love to do the Suckers and Tentacles program for Jess's class!! (She's 1rst Grade).

Too bad New Zealand is so far away!!!

corw314 said:
Sounds fascinating Jean!!! We need a program like that here!! I would love to do the Suckers and Tentacles program for Jess's class!! (She's 1rst Grade).

Too bad New Zealand is so far away!!!

Well we'd love to have you! For you guys I'd even take you round the back for a personal intro to Delphine!

J

Hello all,
Sorry to pull up an old post but it seems I never answered a question. I worked for the Aquarium as a special activities instructor meaning I catered to programs that people pre-registered for. Things such as canoe/kayak trips, crabbing, fishing, island excursions, invert, shark and reptile programs, birthdays, even sleepovers at the aquarium. It was a great job but the winters were hard as the programs disapear when the tourists leave. My fiance and I recently moved about two hours up the beach and I landed a job with one of the other of the three NC Aquariums. I am now an aquarist with the Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium(Atlantic Beach). We are currently closed for a 2 year/27 million dollar expansion. When we reopen we will have a 306,000 gallon tank in our line up, and yes, we will have octopus. All of our animals were released when the aquarium shut down last December. So now we are putting together new holding tanks and collecting new stock. We mostly have sea turtles, gators and venomous snakes right now but we are getting more fish each week. By the way, my old Aquarium at Fort Fisher is working on a new exotics exhibit to be finished next year. It will include lionfish, sea snakes and an exhibit devoted to Cuttles!!! You can check out our site at ncaquariums.com. Now, about that little squid I had, I caught several more through the summer, some as small as 1/2 inch. I didn't try to keep any more of them but they were plentiful this year. Later, John

Both you and Neptune posted today after a long absence! And I just mentioned Roxy in listing the 3 bimac siblings that lived out their full lifespan last year.

Nice to hear from you and your new job sounds exciting! I suppose you'll try to take charge of the octopus - any idea what species they'll have? It's never been quite clear to me how far down the coast you have to go before you find vulgaris and other octos - do you have them in North Carolina?

So I guess in one way or another you'll be keeping another octopus! Please keep us updated, this sounds really interesting.

Nancy

Hi Nancy, nice to hear from you.
Yep they'll be Vulgaris. The Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium had one on exhibit before but in a smaller tank. Hopefully we'll have something nicer for the next one. The commercial fisherman catch them all the time around here in fish/crab pots. Someone at the aquarium even saw a fisherman catch a small one on the pier right down the road from here yesterday. It wasn't even hooked, it was just holding on trying to rip the bait off! I fear if I had seen him, he'd of been coming home with me.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back