I "had" a pet squid.

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Jean said:
not sure if everyone would want to get into the nitty gritty of teaching at an aquarium! :lol: )

Dont jump to conclusions Jean... if they do something worthwhile, i might just have a reason to take a trip over to Wilmington....( havent had a reason since my bro got out of UNCW)

thrownet you say? did it look like this? a guy caught this when i was walking the beach last summer just northeast of charleston

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
WhiteKiboko said:
[Dont jump to conclusions Jean... if they do something worthwhile, i might just have a reason to take a trip over to Wilmington....( havent had a reason since my bro got out of UNCW)

Sorry :oops:

J

perke

O. vulgaris
Registered
If your trying to catch squid, a fine mesh dip net will work quite well as you don't get mantle damage but you have to be quick as the little blighters are fast (well at least in NZ they are) also keeping them in fresh flowing seawater (maybe in the dark) as soon as you get them might be a good idea as they do ink a lot and potentially can poison themselves.

Jean education is always interesting!!

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Btw- that was a cuttle not a squid in the pic.

I've tried many times, the squd I've caught don't seem to live much longer than a few minutes :frown:

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
What a fascinating discussion!!! Pretty amazing you at least got almost 24 with Squidward! I would love to hear what both you and Jean do at work!!

Carol

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
joel_ang said:
that was a cuttle not a squid in the pic.

it was a squid, it just looks kinda like a cuttle due to the way its hanging off the shell....

besides, cuttles dont live around the mid atlantic (at least on this side of the pond)

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
its hard to see the fins on the squid... between the sand and the shell that he's laying in.... plus i shrunk the pic to save space.... ill see if i can still find a big version....