• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I got my octo!

Hi everyone,

He is still in the cave he was in all day yesterday and all night last night. He seems to be ok though. today i am going to go to my LFS and try some live food and see if he comes out.

Yes, i do live in orange county, but i also live in the city of orange. Strange yet cool.

The octo's mantle is about 3/4 inch. Im not sure what his armspan is.

thanks for the replies everyone.

a fishmarket might have more selective choices of food, I only go to these places for fish food, not LFS where all they sell is that frozen junk they call "fish food". :roll:

You may find he likes the frozen prawn the LFS sells. Ink loves this and will steal it even from the serpent star. Also, most stores sell small hermit crabs for $1.oo or so a piece.

Any name yet?

Carol

Hey RT, congratulations! Being following your posts right from getting your tanks to cycling it to getting your 1st octo, well done!! Have fun naming it 8)

LS

I dropped in a live hermit crab for him, but he still wont come out of his den :cry: to eat it. Should i just give him some frozen food that he seemed to like yesterday?

it's worth a try, when I first got my euprymna scolopes he didn't come out for a while, it was a whole week I think, during the midnight mainly 2:30 AM he would come out and eat, very weird lol.

Hi Rockthis,

Hmm... I've been in Orange County, but never heard of a city called Orange! But at any rate, you're in a good area for octopuses!

Yes, go ahead and feed your little octi what he likes, trying to add other things to see what he'll accept.

Nancy

Hey everyone,

I decided to take ther hermit crab out. Instead, i just gave him a piece of fish that he took off of a toothpick. I took a pic of him eating it :smile: . Although, i am afraid i gave him to big of a piece. However, i dont think this will be much of a problem, because if he doesnt decide to eat all of it my brittle star and shrimp should take care of the piece (the shrimp were trying to take it from my little octo) :smile: .

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back