I finally started prepping again!

RonB

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi everybody. Its been quite awhile since my last visit. Besides being super busy, I finally got my prep lab up and running and started prepping again. I know you folks are very much into the 'learning and knowledge' of ammos, but I am much more interested in just hunting for them and prepping them. But anyways, here are three that ive finished just a few days ago. I have some wonderful multi's that im working on and I also have those nice big ones to work on later. Im starting on the small ones and working my up to the more exciting stuff to keep the excitement level at its highest! WoooHoooooooo!!!! Enjoy
Oh, Im not sure what species these are? The bigger one may be a Jeletzkytes nebraskensis? All come from the Fox Hills formation.

dscn0886gj0.jpg

dscn0882yv9.jpg

dscn0881ko7.jpg

Wow! Those are beauties. Is that the original shell or have you coated them at all?

Brilliant job Ron!

Thanks Phil. They do have most of their shell, but I do put a protrolium product on them to hold the sometimes loose and flake shell in place. I cant wait to get some more done.

Is the color a result of buffing, the coating or the minerals or all three? I know some of the finds you have show have color in the raw but the ones you show finished are so much more stunning than any I have seen (limited exposure to be sure).

*sigh*... it's these moments that make me wish I had proper equipment and was a bit older... those are absolutely fantastic ammonites, the kind I aspire to find one day. Thanks for the pictures!

Thanks everybody. Cmpliments are always nice. And dwhatley, the color is already there, I just brought it out a bit more.

Some of my Sphenos

Hey gang, Ive been busy prepping again. These are actually my 'lessor' sphenodiscus ammos, but im using these to practice on before I start my really good ones. Ive never prepped these before, so I want to be careful for my good ones. I dont mean to sound spoiled, but for me, its great that I am able to have these to find out and learn how to prep them. Even these 'lessor' ones are very very nice!!! I still have to go two more steps on these before they are actually done, but that wont take long. Enjoy
Oh, these are sittin on my table saw, you can also see a one gallon paint can in the back and use that for scale.

dscn0916bi6.jpg

Did the ammolite auction get you motivated? I had to go look on eBay to see what I could find to have a small piece but haven't bid on anything yet.

Hey Kevin. I dont think the spheno's are known for outstanding suture lines, but there arent too many showing on either of these that you see. Once I get these done, I will play around with some light and my camera and try my best to show some of the outstanding color on these beauties!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back