• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I can't Believe it...

I work at zoos most of the time.
Some of the questions, especially the one you have heard for the 5000000th time, can be frustrating.
I understand the rudeness.

You can't tell me that the aquarium trade has not made a dent into wild animal populations. This goes for the zoo trade as well. The Hogg Isle boa constrictor is virtually gone, when they became popular in the pet trade, they vanished from the wild. Guess what? Now the island has a rat problem.

The pet trade is responsible for many such acts.

Responsible keepers buy captive bred stock, and support those breeding efforts. This means that the keeper gets a nice animal, and the person who spends hours a day raising and breeding makes at least enough to break even.

Yes but you have to keep in mind that although it's the 5000000th time you've heard the question it's the first time for the person asking it. If I've been asked "are fish animals" or "can I keep seahorses with my gold fish" once, I've been asked a zillion times. Just gotta grit my teeth, smile be polite and try to answer the question without a) being rude and b) being patronizing!

I agree the pet trade has much to answer for but an aquarium staff member who bites off and chews up an honest inquirer is doing no good, they're not promoting their opinion in any sort of positive light and may in some cases cause a knee jerk "I'll show them who can't keep a _____(insert critter of choice)" . Polite, educated responses work so much better!

J

Jean;124648 said:
Yes but you have to keep in mind that although it's the 5000000th time you've heard the question it's the first time for the person asking it.

I take it that you have also been made to watch the FiSH! training video a couple times :rolleyes:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back