I always wondered about this photo...

I think the thing that bothers me most about all these eyes :cyclops: is that I expect the oval/football shape of the eye to be 90 degrees to what it is in the photo. I guess I am so used to seeing an eye with an eyelid like a whale that it freaks me out when it is different... Thanks for the nightmares Phil..

Now that I think about it, I am thinking that the squid is swimming parallel to the ocean floor (or ocean surface). But if the squid is hanging down or at an angle, then the eyelid would be in the right position. Is this making any sense???

I think it would be creepy if they could wink....yup, that would be creepy...looking over the side of a boat and seeing this huge eye that winks at you....pleasant dreams!:biggrin2:

That is, if they had eyelids...do they have eyelids? Wow, need to get better at my anatomy.

And Graeme, there is a list somewhere, I think the Smithsonian website...I'll have to go check for it..that has all the Archi sightings listed, even from a long time ago and there are several accounts of "live" Archi's being found but then used as bait.:sad:

Only 132 pages... :shock: really interesting reference, though. The first Archi found alive was 1872!

My favorite entry...
Date found: 1981/February
Method of capture: Hook and line.
Measurements: WL (total length) ?20 ft.
Miscellaneous: Taken alive, while trolling...attacked by a false killer whale during retrieval

Can you imagine???
:boat::sink: :goofysca:

That brings up an interesting question-- if archie is one species with a world wide distribution why do the carcasses seem to cluster in certain areas? Is it a factor of post breeding mortality (with several localised breeding sites) or what?

Around here, I beleive someone told me that it has something to do with the water getting cold on the shelf and they get caught there before they can make it do the deeper water....not sure though....I could be totally wrong

See this...

Attachments

• conv_289053.jpg
    conv_289053.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 55

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back