I already have some of it, but I want opinions.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So I already have some of this equipment, but it's all the stuff i'm plannin on gettin for my tank. Anything i'm missing? Any specific stuff I should switch brands or models on for quality issues or whatnot? Lemme know what you guys think.

75 Gallon Aquarium Plan

Filtration
Model 4 Megaflow Sump - $360
#4 Sponge - $4
#4 Media - $11
Aquafuge External Hang On Refugium - $139
1 Gallon “Refugium Mud” - $22
Eshopps Overflow (PF-800) - $49
Coralife Superskimmer 220 - $208
45 lb. Box Select Fiji Premium Live Rock – (2) - $120 each
Quiet One 3000 Pump - $43
Koralia 2 Powerhead – (2) - $36 each
Substrate
40 lb. Bag Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand (Orig. Grade) – (2) - $35 each
Temp. Equipment
200W Jager Heater – (2) - $25 each
Accessories
Instand Ocean Hydrometer - $8
Coralife Digital Thermometer - $7
Python No Spill Clean N’ Fill (75 ft.) – $72
Short Pro Scraper - $8
Long Pro Scraper - $18
Abrasive Algea Sponge - $3

Filtration
Model 4 Megaflow Sump - $360
#4 Sponge - $4
#4 Media - $11
Aquafuge External Hang On Refugium - $139 Unnecessary, and it would save more space and money to have a refugium area included in your sump.
1 Gallon “Refugium Mud” - $22
Eshopps Overflow (PF-800) - $49 I assume you already have the tank, which is why you don't have a tank with a built-in overflow.
Coralife Superskimmer 220 - $208 I haven't heard about the quality of these skimmers, so I can't really comment. I do know, however, that ASM's G-series are great skimmers and they are pretty cost efficient as well.
45 lb. Box Select Fiji Premium Live Rock – (2) - $120 each
Quiet One 3000 Pump - $43 Again, I don't really know much about this pump, but I would go with a mag 9 or 12 and you can put a ball valve on if you want less flow.
Koralia 2 Powerhead – (2) - $36 each Unnecessary.
Substrate
40 lb. Bag Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand (Orig. Grade) – (2) - $35 each Buying live is a waste of money, just get dry bags and your rock will seed it.
Temp. Equipment
200W Jager Heater – (2) - $25 each 2-150s or 1 200.
Accessories
Instand Ocean Hydrometer - $8
Coralife Digital Thermometer - $7
Python No Spill Clean N’ Fill (75 ft.) – $72 You don't need a gravel vac, and I don't see why you would need a 75 ft hose.
Short Pro Scraper - $8
Long Pro Scraper - $18
Abrasive Algea Sponge - $3

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I've got a lot of responses so I guess i'll do one at a time:
I was plannin on puttin my skimmer in my sump, and from what i've been reading, I can't make a refugium area in the sump if the skimmer is there.
Why wouldn't I want powerheads for water flow?
The 200W Jager is rated for a 60-90 gallon tank, so are you saying I should just get one?
It's cool if I don't need a gravel vac, but if i HAD needed one I'd need a really long hose. The place I live is pretty janky like that.

The Coralife Super Skimmers are really good IMO. Especially for the price.

If you partitioned the sump with extra baffles you could put a small refugium in it. Or you could just put the HOB refugium on your sump if it would fit.

I think he's saying with a strong enough return pump in your sump, you won't need the powerheads for more circluation.

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
the sump im plannin on is premade, so if i put another section in it, would I want to have the skimmer before the refugium or visa versa?

Skimmer first. AM was right, if you have a strong enough return you will not need the powerheads. It will save you money and aesthetics in your tank to have a stronger return.

Latest Posts