• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hummelincki source on Ebay

Both species are fine for a 55. I prefer getting octos (and other critters) direct from the collector when possible. There are still chances but often you can directly communicate and the animals are less stressed. For a comparison of the two species in an aquarium, there is my Journal on Octane and Animal Mother's journal on Kalypso (as well as AM's Hummelincki,Tuvalu). Hummelincki is more day active and might be better for a classroom (Octane does not usually wake up until about 2:00 PM and stays up until around 11:00 PM but that my have a lot to do with when we are home).

It is find to post the seller's name when you are searching as usually one of us has ordered from the source and can offer experience info.

Deacon;120765 said:
There is also a fairly regular source on eBay for what is claimed to be O. briareus. Don't know anything about the seller, though his listing is fairly complete (the picture is too small to determine species, however.)
Anyone know anything about care for this species? Would a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump be big enough? How about the hummelicki (sp?)

A 55 is pushing it for an O. briareus in my opinion. I'm wishing mine had a bigger tank, and it's in a 75 gallon. You can check out my briareus's journal if you'd like an example. Kalypso (O.briareus)
Mine is very outgoing, and usually very active night or day, but that might not necessarily be the case with every one of them.

Hummelincki would be fine in a 55. They're very day active and tend to be very outgoing as far as disposition is concerned.

Dave,
Notice anything odd about pictures 2 and 3. These are sample pictures and not what is in stock but I try to look carefully at all of them to learn ID traits.

It was the blue eyed babies that I was hoping you would see. I have only seen hatchling mercs and briareus so I am not sure the blue eyes are diagnostic for briareus but give myself a pat on the back for seeing it now and knowing they are not mercs and are likely briareus :biggrin2:

I think this MAY be DanTheMarineMan but not sure.

He says the pictures are examples and not the actual animals so you can't go by them for species. We have recently learned through observation that briareus hatchlings have blue around their eyes so it was fun to note that on his pictures. The others in his sample photos are most likely mercs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back