Humbolt Squid High-Def Documentary Screening

Monty,

Im sure you are right about Mr. Gilly being quoted out of context and that he is probably more open minded to our ideas than he has been portrayed. It is normal for those people (tv, news, print, etc) to try and get the most out of different views and try and start some sort of heated debates.

there is alot of Mr. Gillys research that I have studied about when he tagged the squids and the info he got off of them. There is no doubt that his research has yeilded many fantastic bits of info on the Humboldt Squid. If it were possible for us to send him and of our footage for him to review or for us to perform any type of experiments for him while we are in the field that would be great.

We are starting to work with a very large aquarium that is expressing the interest in having a Humboldt Squid exibit. that is where alot of info on their behavior can be gained.

I suppose my only difference of opinion on the animals is the actual behavior of them in the wild.

I guess when you dive with 6 ft Humboldt Squid for a living sometime people will look me in the face and say "ya know.....your crazy....."

The truth is, we are not crazy at all. Yes a Humboldt Squid can be lethal to a human in the water, but with the right equipment almost any type of activity can be safe. IE:

Shark dives (cage)
Jump out of a plane(parachute)
Space walk (space suit)
Squid dive (armor and steel cable)

Monty, I will let you hold a nice 5 footer (Im not sure hold is the right word) and see how they feel. They will try and bite you at first but if you hold them firmly but gently and dont hurt them they will calm down. I wish I could describe what its like to have one in your hands but all I can come up with is "[email protected]$%NG Awsome..."

We are leaving on Sep the 8 for a shoot with the History Channel. We will be working on a show for the first HD series they are making. Its about the Humbold Squid and will have some great footage for sure. Ill post a trip report of the shoot with some pics when we get back.

:sink:

GTB
www.sea-wolves.com

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
gonetobaja;77805 said:
Monty, I will let you hold a nice 5 footer (Im not sure hold is the right word) and see how they feel. They will try and bite you at first but if you hold them firmly but gently and dont hurt them they will calm down. I wish I could describe what its like to have one in your hands but all I can come up with is "[email protected]$%NG Awsome..."

:mrgreen: I wish I had the resources to do this now, but as soon as my company gets funded enough to pay me in money instead of just stock, I'll be in touch! (I probably should do a few "refresher" dives first, too, since I haven't been diving for years... I think my wet suit is gonna be too tight, as well... I am NAUI openwater II, though, so I'm not too clueless...) Thanks!

We are leaving on Sep the 8 for a shoot with the History Channel. We will be working on a show for the first HD series they are making. Its about the Humbold Squid and will have some great footage for sure. Ill post a trip report of the shoot with some pics when we get back.

Looking forward to it!