HsiehLung Cuttle Fish Tank

hsiehlung

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi there all

this finally jumped into cuttlefish after losing my first cuttlefish awhile back by a dumb coral beauty ....

a friend (collector) was able to get a female tropical cuttle fish north of perth Western australia which laid some viable eggs in his aquarium. so i decided to try some of them i was given 5 viable ones which are around 1.5week or 2 weeks old (unconfirmed laid date)
the other eggs have yet to inflate so i dont think they are viable. anyway a big suprise after leave the egg in the tank for few hours 3 of them hatched ... i dont know if this kinda early for them ? but they around 1cm big and look well developed. the other 2 are in their eggs still.

once i find my phone cable i post some pictures of the little ones.

the aquarium is a 78x68x58 aquarium with alot of liverock and mysid running :P

i think my biggest worry atm if this a premature hatch ?

n577105600_3344165_929.jpg

n577105600_3344168_1876.jpg

n577105600_3344169_2196.jpg

he said roughly 10cm
before he released her back into the wild
i think he said she was about half grown ? or more ...
i dont even know which sp of cuttle it is >.

Im not sure about the ID since we dont have a picture of the adult, but 1cm newborns and white eggs are not traits of any commonly kept cuttlefish in the US.

If the hatchlings were born premature, you would have seen an egg yolk still attached to them.

i think 74 gallons roughly ?

here a picture of an adult it should be the same there was a picture of the real adult but its removed off his website so i see if he still has it. i been trying to find out it is but very hard since they always talk about the gaint cuttlefish in australian waters

i did see a round ball very small but wasnt attached to them so i guess thats a good sign ? anyway we see how we go this is the first time i raising cuttle fish from eggs last time the cuttle fish was a juv. any info on my sp would be great
thanks in advance

cuttle%20fish.JPG

If the round ball was the yolk and is significantly smaller then the baby cuttle, they may be ok. Ive had many premature births with Sepia Bandensis. If the yolk sac is pretty small in comparison to the cuttle, they often survive fine. If the yolk was still large in comparison to the cuttle, the cuttle is still very under developed and will usually die.

i pretty sure it is the yolk as i can see the same thing in the unhatched eggs. compared to the one where i was able to take a picture by himself its kinda small but to the other 2 it seems kinda big maybe 1/2 of their body size but i had a look again i was only able to find 2 yolks not 3 so possible that one of them is not premature or maybe it didnt see it >.>
here some pictures of the yolks which i slowly moved next to them

n577105600_3346466_3174.jpg

n577105600_3346468_3527.jpg

:welcome: to TONMO, and good luck!

I'll be very curious how the experts ID the adult pic, it's a great looking cuttle, but I certainly can't guess without a book... maybe I'll get Norman and Nesis out later...

just confirm with my friend it is the same type so if anyone is able to id that adult picture that would be great ^^
he also going to send me a video once he gets back up north as he has on his other computer up there

add some live mysid today plus some tiger pods haven't had much reaction i even place a semi dead in front of the cuttle fish but nothing. i hope they start eating...

well these are kinda same size to their size these are only around 1 cm big roughly. dont think we have shore shrimps in aus but we have glass shrimps and i guess i can go hunting for small crabs on my collection trip if it stops raining !

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back