How to find out squid (Histioteuthis) gender?

Hi all,
I'm researching on HISTIOTEUTHIS species for beak morphometry on different life stages, and I would like to differentiate between MALES and FEMALES.
I have extracted the mantle cavity organs, including the stomach, glands, and weird white and pink organs I recognise as the GONADS.
BUT I find it difficult to see if they are male or female. I've seen some general diagrams for cephalopods, but I dont recognise such structures in Histioteuthis.
Can anyone give me any tip, diagram, photography to show me the generic difference in squid gonads please?

PD. Its quite of an urge, I'm presenting the seminar in 2 weeks and I have to process +60 gonads :S
PDD. If in addition to this someone could give me a clue on visual recognition of sexual maturity, it would be great!
Thank you.

Mature males of Histioteuthis have hectocotylised arms, so it should be possible to tell from external morphology (before removing the viscera) which sex you are dealing with. Once the mantle is open (ventral dissection), you will also see that the viscera are either (in females) symmetrical across the midline, with two nidamental glands, or (in males) asymmetrical, with a large whitish mass posteriorly along the left side (testis and Needham's sac) and the terminal organ protruding (see photo here: Tree of Life Web Project - Details for Media ID# 21835 -- the terminal organ, lying along the pink digestive gland, has many small spermatophores visible within it).

Hope that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back