How much?

M.V.

Blue Ring
Registered
How much did it cost you guys to start up a 100g + tank up and running for an octo? Reason be it looks pricey and now im having doubts. Since im only 14 and can't seem to find anyone willing to hire me (even though I have working papers). I do have abou 1k saved up for this with the addition of the tank being a Christmas gift. But I was planinng to propagation coral and sell it to raise some cash.

Go to the Tank Talk Forum, count down four posts (stickies) and you'll find a poll on set up costs along ("What do you have....") with many lists of actual tanks and other equipment and their costs. You'll find lots of good information there!

Nancy

if your planning to use coral prop as a source of income for the octo upkeep you better plan on it taking a long time to make the money. my suggestion is become friends with the fish store owner so that you could maybe come in and help the store for a couple days in exchange for some equipment thats basically what i do and i also make all my skimmers sumps overflows etc if you need any plans and usually the homemade ones work better than the real ones because you can custom build it to fit your specs perfectly with the same results making things easier on you

Don't forget to figure in the cost of feeding the octopus, after you get your tank set up and cycled. They have to have some live food, and even frozen shrimp isn't inexpensive. Unless, of course, you live near the ocean and can go hunting a bit.

Nancy

Yeah man I dont know how much money there is in corals - lighting is very expensive, and I'm geussing it takes a long time.

I went super cheap on my 79 G - must be around $300 USD, still a little bit more to go though - piping to the sump and overflow, but nearly there.

For some reason Deltecs are super SUPER expensive in the US of A, maybe other equipment is aswell?

For me buying stuff new is a total waste of money - there must be tonnes of second hand aquarium goods floating around.

i do know ive had a 125 for like 5 years now and all i can get it to do is produce is enough money for more corals thats it though. usually the extra money it does put out goes into new bulbs biannually and new pumps etc. i think i spent maybe 250 on my 75 octo tank but i also built all my equipment on it except the pumps

i would go with one of those kits that they sell at the larger fish stores. i just used that crappy filter they give you for a feeder tank. i keep my costs down by breeding guppies and crabs i collect from the beach. i over-filter my 55 gallon tank with a fluval 404 (i think its made for 150 gallon tanks) so i can relax and not worry about ammonia and stuff. and 1k should be enough. im 14 too and my wallet doesnt know what money looks like. another way is to use "parent manipulation" thats always a good bet. i must have set up my 55g tank for 500 bucks altogether. just be crafty with the stuff you have and you're good.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back