• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Charlo

Hatchling
Registered
Hi there,

I am in the very beginning stages of my octopus adventure (I do not plan on owning one for another couple of years). As I am researching, I wonder which is the best way to filter an octopus tank. I plan on having a ton of live rock, a sump, a protein skimmer, and a Granular Activated Carbon Filter. As far as I can see, that is everything they need (for filtration). Does that sound like a good set up?

As I mentioned, buying the actual octopus is a couple years out, so I'm not sure the type of octopus or the size of the tank yet. I just want to make sure I have a complete understanding of the set-up before I start buying things :smile:

thanks for any advise you have,
Charlo

This sounds good. Maximizing your sump will be helpful. Often keepers will include macro algae in the sump (or display but with an octopus, this is more trouble than it is worth in most cases). I don't but would still recommend considering it as you plan as the sump would need its own lighting if you with use if to macro.

With more research, more questions arise. I see a lot of people saying a Wet/Dry filter is best for an octopus. Should I consider adding a Wet/Dry, or maybe replacing the GAC for a Wet/Dry? Also, would the Protein Skimmer provide enough water flow or would I need something in addition for that? Thanks!

There are as many ways to configure an aquarium as there are aquariums and MOST of them are acceptable. I have never used a wet/dry but it is a common sump configuration (be sure to read up on maintaining it to avoid nitrate buildup). Even if you use a wet/dry, I still highly recommend adding carbon to the sump in some way. Some people use a bag that simply lies in the bottom of the tank. I prefer more activity across the carbon and keep a bag of it in my filter sock that receives the water from the display.

Your protein skimmer will be in the sump along with your other filtration (trying to keep a skimmer in with an octo is difficult) so you will need to move the water through your live rock with some other kind of powerhead. You will also have a little flow and aeration pumping your water from the sump to the display tank but this is not enough to help keep the debris from the rockwork. I recommend something like a couple of Koralias (there are other brands that are similar and both less and more expensive). Even with the distributed intake of this style pump, I keep them inside a mesh media bag.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back