• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How much epoxy?

tywtly

GPO
Registered
Ok, I'm orderinmg my live sand this weekend to set up my tank (FINALLY!!!). I've already got my live rock (50-60 lbs)....well, dead rock I guess...I made a thread a while back about that, if anyone remembers. Anyway, on to my question. I know I'm supposed to epoxy my rock together with aquarium safe epoxy. So, my question is...how many 4 oz. epoxy sticks will I need for this amount of LR?

You don't have to epoxy your rock together. Some people do it, so don't. I rarely do it.

That said, if you choose to epoxy it together you will need as much as you will need as all situations are different. Also remember that epoxy isn't adhesive, so you won't be gluing the rock together, but more making a mechanical bond.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people don't do it, I just like to err on the side of caution when it comes to my tanks. I don't mean to sound greedy (I think that's about the right word), but does anyone have an estimate as to how many sticks I'll need? Cause I have absolutely zero experience with epoxy.

I would start with about 6 or 8 tubes and then you will get an idea of how far a tube will go. Chances are, you will have enough to finish the job. It is always good to have a tube on hand for any rocks that may come loose. I probably have gone through 15 - 20 tubes for my 150 lbs of live rock. Not all of my rocks are stuck together, but most of them are in place. Also, I have changed the rocks around because I haven't been happy with where some rocks were setting.

Hope this helps.

Oh! And could I use non-toxic aquarium silicone that you buy at Wal-mart? Cause that epoxy is expensive, and there's no way I could afford 6-8 tubes.

I knew some glues were safe if you let them dry well before putting the rocks in the tank. I guess it would work with dead rock, but I didn't want to leave my live rock out of the water that long.

Well I had to drain my tank and store my rock...dry...uuuuhhhh...So now all I've got is dead rock. So the glue would work perfect for me. Oh! On that note, does anyone know how I can reseed my rock when I set it up?

Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane adhesive and as such water causes it to cure, Gorilla glue claims that there product is water proof aswell. Also the manufacturer reports that ti contains no addatives or solvents.

ive been researching glues and epoxies for rockwork as well.. How long is the cure time for gorrilla glue? Do you know of any possible long term effects or leaching?

Some recommendations Ive read about are

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1089

http://polymericsystems.com/aquamend.htm can get at home depot

and supposedly Ace Hardware has an Ace brand epoxy that cures in 5 minutes.

People also drill holes and place acrylic rods in the rocks to hold them.

Im looking for a glue or epoxy that is reef safe and cures relatively quickly for I dont want some of the rocks out of the water too long. Also, Ive used some of the 2 part epoxies purchased from LFSs and they dont really 'glue' things together, but are good to use to form perfect molds to have rocks rest on each other well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

You can use Zap Gel. I use it to put some of my corals onto the rocks. You just wad it on the coral out of the water and then stick it in and put it on the rock, then move it around a little so the skin from when it comes in contact with the water comes off, then hold it in place for 30 sec to a minute.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back