• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How many of you plan to buy a bimac this year?

dbrooks said:
I plan on buying this year. BTW, I live about 30 minutes from the Octopets store (if they actually have a storefront). Has anyone drive by to check them out? I also work with a woman who's sone is a close friend of the Octopets owner...will use that angle if there is no other way to get info...

I also live in San Diego. I have been to Octopets, they're inside the big power station, they rent space from them since they're right on the lagoon. They don't really have a storefront.

I drove up there last May to pickup Thomas, who is still doing well. We estimated he was about 3 months old when I took him home, so that would put him at about 12 months of age right now.

I haven't read the other thread yet, I hope OctoPets truly isn't out of business! When I was there, he had these large tanks of scores and scores of seahorses, and cuttlefish eggs as well! Search for my old post to see, it was awesome! What happened???

I was planning to buy one in a few months, when my tank is good and established.

Anyone have any idea how difficult they are to breed? I understand the issues with feeding both the adults and the babies. But how difficult is it to get them to actually breed? Octopets was breeding them, not harvesting eggs from the wild, right?

m8298 said:
But how difficult is it to get them to actually breed?

Howdy,

Getting two Octopuses to mate is probably the easiest part of the process. Here are a couple of articles about
GPO's breeding at the Seattle Aquarium:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/259543_nsecondary15.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/260637_fam24.html

Basically it's just a matter of keeping a male and female of roughly the same age in a situation where they can see/sense each other - but not eat each other! When the time is right the loving couple should indicate through their behavior that they'd like to get together for something other than dinner.

Assuming that everything works out the male will probably just wander off and the female will start picking out a brooding den.

The hard part comes later.

Romantically yours,

Alex

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if the same arrangement could be used as Richard Ross does with the Sepia Bandenesis Cuttlefish. I am amazed by the photos and videos on www.stickycricket.com. Maybe the same type of setup would work with O. Bimaculoides, on a larger scale with respect to tank size.

I wish I had the ability to do that.

I hope to get a second octopus soon....very soon....means I will have to at some point relocate him with us, but I miss having an active octo in my household. Egor is still denned up with her eggs. Been about a month or more since she was out. I miss her.

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back