How is stomach content analysis of squid done?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Steve O'Shea;120089 said:
......, its applied nature, and how we could best fit it into a hypothesis driven research project (most theses/research programmes these days are required to be hypothesis driven, EXCEPT ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME! I have this argument weekly with folk around here and am tired of banging my head against walls).

Give us one minute of our collective time with your teacher and I'm sure that we'd convert them! It is just as applied and conservation-oriented as any subject, and as far as I am concerned, far-more important!

HEAR HEAR! I note Steve, that it's part of the NZ high school science curriculum that students have to be able to prepare an hypothesis, test and discuss the results........no-where is there any leeway for curiousity based science......the wonder what would happen if........or.....the wonder what the fuzzwart fish eats type research.

Sad really it takes all the wonder out of science!

J

bathypol

Wonderpus
Registered
If you are still curious, there is a paper about Northern Bottlenose Whales and Gonatus fabricii which is worth checking out (Hooker, et al, 2000 - I beleive). It deals with both stable isotopes and fatty acid analysis in relation to predator/prey interactions.

On a related note, does anyone know of a good crustacean identification guide? I have quite a few squid with full stomachs and have a lot of intact pieces of exoskeleton...it would be nice to know what they :smile:

Cheers.

Latest Posts