• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

How do you keep him in the tank?

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Good old Duck Tape!!! Miracle item!!! Used for many many things! I have used it on my octopus tanks for years with no ill effects and never an escapee!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Yes, quite a few of us use duct tape. It doesn't hold underwater and if you're using it in really damp conditions, better check it frequently. I keep a role of black duct tape beside the tank so it can be changed out easily. Also, when I had my bimac, I kept a heavy brick on the tank cover as well.

Nancy

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Bricks are good!....There are many and varied ways to try (yes I said try) to keep an octi in the tank......duct tape, bricks, wet silicon, astroturf etc etc, but I think the best is a combination of bricks, duct tape and eternal vigilance!

J

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
ddarko66 said:
At what size did your octos start trying to escape?

DDarko
Ohhhh quite big really....y'know as soon as they get out of the egg!!!!

Seriously we've had'em escape at about 2-3 cm mantle length!

J

ddarko66

Blue Ring
Registered
My little guy shows no interest in escaping. I have never seen him above the top half of the tank. I have live rock stacked bottom to top in the tank so maybe there are enough places to explore. I have artificial turf around the sides of the canopy and leave the top open on the tank. As my guy grows larger I am sure I will have to take further steps to keep him in..

DDarko

I am currently working on my tank top and making it octo proof.

I'll let you know how i get on and post some pics.

Perspex, perspex, perspex

i also wanna make some open bit on the top to enhance my gas exchange ( water only few mm off top of tank glass screen and minimal ventilation to sump) so tryin to avoid many difficulties in a major swoop!!!

also my inflow drops through this screen.......hhhhmmmm

thats complete jibberish what ive just wrote but am workin on it!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaneMom6800

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak