How do you catch an octopus?

mushroom21

Hatchling
Registered
I have searched long and hard to find information on how to catch an octopus. I didn't find a thing. I am getting :cry: desperate :cry: because I am going to belize in a month and want to eat some fresh octopus (I realize that the consumption of octopus is mean. However, I was bit by an octopus this summer and I feel I need to avenge the pain :twisted: . I also have never tried octopus before and I need to experience the awesome power [in all aspects] of the octopus). If ANYONE has any information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! my email is [email protected].

well..

I could be wrong, but I thought that this website was devoted to love of octopus; not love of eating octopus... I'm sorry, but i find it rude of you to ask. If it's just me, then ok. But I still think it's awful to eat them.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried any of that new octopus helper by kraft foods.I find it quite filling(tastes good too!)........Ron

50121822 said:
octopus helper by kraft foods

:?: What's that?

As far as how to catch an octo goes... are you catching your own, then eating it? I think I'd have trouble with that (even if I did eat them... )
Afraid I can't offer any help as I've never caught one.

Re: How do you catch an octopus?

mushroom21 said:
I have searched long and hard to find information on how to catch an octopus. I didn't find a thing. I am getting :cry: desperate :cry: because I am going to belize in a month and want to eat some fresh octopus (I realize that the consumption of octopus is mean. However, I was bit by an octopus this summer and I feel I need to avenge the pain :twisted: . I also have never tried octopus before and I need to experience the awesome power [in all aspects] of the octopus). If ANYONE has any information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! my email is [email protected].

I have eaten octopus, squid, and cuttlefish before, but I don't anymore because I kinda think of them as my "totems". That being said, I must admit that I eat other kinds of meat (fish, shellfish, poultry, and occasionally beef), so I wouldn't feel right lecturing anybody else about their eating habits.

If you really would like to try octopus, you'd be better off going to a restaurant than preparing it yourself (unless you happen to be a gourmet chef). Many traditional Italian restaurants prepare a great seafood salad that usually includes octopus and squid, as well as other shellfish. Greek restaurants also prepare octopus as an appetizer, calling it "etapoda" or "htapoda". If you're into Japanese food, you can get octopus or "tako" sushi at a sushi bar.

Dr. Clyde Roper, who before his retirement was the foremost scientific authority on Architeuthis, used to eat calamari, so you shouldn't feel too guilty. However, if you do partake of cephs, do it because they taste good -- predators don't eat their prey out of vengeance, and IMHO neither should we.

Peace,
Tani

i really dont see whats wrong with enjoying a cephalopod now and then... as for catching one, maybe try putting a pot/container on a string with something interesting in it and lowering into the den, theyre curious little critters... back to eating them, i happen to be a big fan of calamari, and have a list of the places ive had it and what i thought of them... i was thinking of starting a new discussion so if everyone puts the places theyve had good (or really bad) squid/octo then we could have a half decent guide, and the travellers among us could enjoy/steer clear of establishments in a certain locality.... i once bought an octo at the supermarket to whip up for dinner...MAN! cutting the tentacles was a challenge, even with a decent knife...but then again it was about 5ft armtip to armtip and had some size to it....cooked it several ways but let me offer this advice: if you bread it and fry it, DONT overcook....

There's a Thai restaurant in Christchurch, New Zealand [Tintenfisch will know the name] that serves the best calamari dishes (3 different ones) I have ever eaten IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!!!! I mean like scrumptiously fantastically delicious!

....but I canna eat octopus

Have you ever noticed that among ceph-heads who eat meat (flesh of any kind) there are many of us who'll eat squid, but nobody wants to eat octopus, even if they've enjoyed it in the past? I had octopus in Nice when I was 14 on a pizza. Never again. I think it's partially because when people dive with GPO that could easily kill them, they don't. They're not aggressive. If you dive with four-foot Dosidicus in the Sea of Cortez, they will try to take a chunk out of you. A lot of squid remind me in temperment of attack-trained dogs, where octos tend to be more like spoiled house-cats: the bigger they get, the more docile. In Jamaica, I believe the slang term is "sea cat"', or at least according to both Ian Fleming and certain Rasta guys I know.

Erich

Well let me put this to ya....

If you had a pet dog and you treat it correctly you think of yourself as similar in nature and the head of the pack i.e. you respect it but you eat before it, always walk up the stairs before it, blardy blah

Then if you have an octo you too assume you are of a similar nature too, well octo's eat each other, there cannibals.

Dont get me wrong I love em to bits, but I also love pulpo (octo tapas).

Mate my conscience is clear, hopefully yours is now!! :smile:

Octo doesn't taste as flavourful as squid. ( Too squishy, slimy even when cooked)
Small squid does taste good but the flesh is thin, the best is cuttle, thicker slabs of meat but milder than squid.

I will eat almost everything...including octopus. Have to admit though, I am not that fond of the taste...but then, I don't really care for squid either. Too "fishy" or something for me...

As far as catching them for food? Whatever...easier to buy, isn't it?

greg

Anyone tryed gutting a octo and cutting it up?

Actually, I eat octo tentcles raw, cut a small piece tentcles from the octo and put it back in your tank. Just make sure it comes from clean sea water (no chemical salt), wash in fresh water beforer eating. If you think its cruel, ice bath that part, not the whole octo.

Anyone tryed gutting a octo and cutting it up?

Actually, I eat octo tentcles raw, cut a small piece tentcles from the octo and put it back in your tank. Just make sure it comes from clean sea water (no chemical salt), wash in fresh water beforer eating. If you think its cruel, ice bath that part, not the whole octo.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Your avin laugh arnt ya?!?!?

:mrgreen: LOL what's with the :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's ture, tryed it in Korea..I must admit that if your in somewhere with extremly clean water, don't wash the octo, tastes bland after you was it in freshwater, same goes with all fish...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back