• You are viewing our Exotics and Rare Species forum. Please review our Forum Guidelines and Cephalopod Care Ethics Statement to ensure you are appraised of the dangers and considerations related to pursuing exotics and rare species as an aquarist. Threads in this forum are not featured on our homepage.
  • Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.

how do octopus dealers see wunderpus and other exotics?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hey, monty and thales saved me a lot of typing... What they said, plus...

I know that this is how retailers make their money, they have to advertise, they need to get interest in the animals that they sell... just the same as any retailer who sells anything from pants to washing up liquid. The fact an animal is RARE should not, in the modern day of conservation, be a selling point. Its right, exotic isn't the right word.

i have worked in the trade for 17 years now, both as a retailer and in a huge importer so I know what i am up against as far as sales go.

Further still, why are these animals so expensive from retail when imports are so cheap? Let face it, a wunderpus at $400 is a hell of a mark-up from their trade price.

But i do really appreciate that reefscavangers are taking the time to at least look at websites like this.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reefscavengers,
Thanks for joining us. Your interest is refreshing and I hope you find cephs interesting enough to not only study their care for your short term keeping but also become the kind of LFS that can contribute heavily to the proper care of the final keeper. I have alway thought an aquarium store should keep "sample" pets (like demo models ;>) so that they have first hand knowledge and can assist their customers with known care techniques.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Good point D

More shops should take the approach of learning more about all of their stock and the best way is to keep them.

Latest Posts