• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How do I interpret the common cuttel visual cues?

Hi guys. I am very curious about learning some of the visual cues to get at least a hint of my cuttle's mood.

In S. bandensis:
What does pacing the glass mean?
What does turning very dark mean?
What does changing texture from "bumping" to smooth mean?
What does using it's tentacles to anchor itself to objects mean?
What does widening it's w eyeslits mean? (It also looks very scary)

Are there any other signs that I can look for to check whether he is stressed, hungry, happy or annoyed?

Thank you :sun:

my largest, who is often annoyed, some might say hormonal! when it doesnt want to see you, it first waves its legs up and down then left to right while lowering its body so all you can see is its face.

If you dont move quick enough, it then shoots from left to right inking like mad before coming to rest amongst the chaeto.

The others are more chilled out and just bury themselves in the sand :P

I have no idea sorry mate.

Shouldnt be too long before i can release mine!!!! so excited!! now they are on river shrimp they grow day by day!

Wow, already? They are growing so fast! How many shrimp are they taking? What size are the shrimp in relativity to the cuttles? DO they eat a few in a row or eat one every couple of hours?

Ah...I've got it about right, then. As well as the gammarus and the small crabs in the box...he already seems to have grown a tiny fraction of an inch!

Haha...my one is so picky...I gave it a fish on the tongs and then it's feeding tentacles came out...but then when I accidentally loosened the grip on the tongs the fish floated off and he wouldn't eat it even after a lot of coaxing...

Yeah ive found they are like that. They only ever go for the shrimps when their back is turned :P

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back