• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How big does a Bimac get?

crocgurl93;99989 said:
Oh thats a bummer so do I have to get a bigger tank now?

I would be inclined to say yes. Probably closer to 30 gallons so there's room to explore. But mainly, I would just suggest that you add something for the Octopus to interact with, but is definitely not going to harass it. Unfortunately, any fish with that disposition is also potential food, so keep that in mind too.

Starfish are pretty limited as far as interaction goes... they pretty much only interact with their food, as they climb on top of it to eat it. They would make a good tankmate though, as long as they aren't strictly carnivorous. I have read horror stories of people losing their Octopus to a starfish because it was trapped in a hole, and the starfish killed it. I'm considering removing my Bahama Starfish because when my octopus eats on the glass, the starfish tries to climb on top of my octopus. It is likely only trying to get at whatever the octopus is eating, but since starfish turn their stomache inside out, I don't trust it much.

Considering O. Mercatoris' are so tiny, a Clown Goby, Firefish, or Neon Goby would probably be no threat what so ever. I notice a lot of Clown Gobies and Neon Gobies are fairly cheap, under $10 usually, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if it did end up being killed.

This is just a suggestion though. I by no means am a seasoned Octo-pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back