• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

How big do you think that a giant cephalopod can get?

Firefly

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi

I want to know your opinions about the title. :biggrin2:
There´s a limit based on physics, on lifespan, on predation vulnerability, on food availability, etc...? Surely, but how and why?
Thanks.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Steve have made some guesses in the past so maybe he will chime in. If I remember correctly :old:, I think his estimate was about 1 ton (2,000 pounds)

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Unless there are bigger species out there we haven't yet discovered, I would place a bet at a 600 kg maximum, ML at 2.80, maybe 3.00 meters, Steve, you still at 750? I am free to express my doubts at the 495 kg assessment of the Te Papa specimen; would put that in the 375 kg range, personally. This is based on the slightly smaller specimen we were able to weigh in parallel. I would love for them to grow a lot bigger, but this would be my current best guess. Then, there's the Lusca :wink:

Firefly

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hum...
The beaks found in sperm whales didn´t suggested about bigger sizes?
Which one was the biggest giant squid ever found?
Isn´t possible to exist bigger ones?
Were the biggest giant or colossal squids found all mature and at maximum size range ( not talking about possible record size naturally)?
This site talks about an estimation of 100 feet for one that it´s pieces were found on sperm whale stomach : http://www.unmuseum.org/squid.htm
Is this false or true? Apart from some stories mentioned there, I want to take all the possible facts from it.

ob;154199 said:
Unless there are bigger species out there we haven't yet discovered, I would place a bet at a 600 kg maximum, ML at 2.80, maybe 3.00 meters, Steve, you still at 750? I am free to express my doubts at the 495 kg assessment of the Te Papa specimen; would put that in the 375 kg range, personally. This is based on the slightly smaller specimen we were able to weigh in parallel. I would love for them to grow a lot bigger, but this would be my current best guess. QUOTE]

The larger Te Papa specimen weighed 495 kg (frozen). Once over 750 kg they can get as big as they want - nobody will be arguing with them!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
For those of us that are metric challenged and too lazy to look it up 1 kilogram = 2.20462262 lbs :smile::
600 =~ 1,300lbs
750 =~1,650 lbs

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
good question, i'm not aware on last informations on possible weight.

The only one thing I know is existence of beaks from sperm whale's stomachs, suggesting bigger specimen of M HAMILTONI than the "Te Papa" sample

Concerning Architeuthis (or others species) suckers scars on sperm whales skin could suggest quite bigger size thant known specimen ..

the rare testimonies ( recents or not) are not reliable to my opinion except some specific cases including the one in my signature.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
myopsida;154218 said:
ob;154199 said:
Unless there are bigger species out there we haven't yet discovered, I would place a bet at a 600 kg maximum, ML at 2.80, maybe 3.00 meters, Steve, you still at 750? I am free to express my doubts at the 495 kg assessment of the Te Papa specimen; would put that in the 375 kg range, personally. This is based on the slightly smaller specimen we were able to weigh in parallel. I would love for them to grow a lot bigger, but this would be my current best guess.
The larger Te Papa specimen weighed 495 kg (frozen). Once over 750 kg they can get as big as they want - nobody will be arguing with them!
Chris, wouldn't it be more appropriate to say that the container containing the frozen squid plus attached frozen water weighed 495 kg? There was quite a bit of ice in there. We could split the difference? 435 kg?

PS: a 45 ton bull sperm whale might disagree with the latter part of your statement :wink:

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shakyamuni

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak