Holyrood Architeuthis (1935)

monty;89194 said:
Gee, if eccentricity is supposed to lead to having money, I'm clearly not getting paid what I deserve :madsci:....
I didn't say I didn't have it, I just said I'm not sure I'm eccentric enough!

But I don't have it. :wink:
monty;89194 said:
I don't know about relocating the pic (where would it go?) but perhaps, if Rod's OK with it, we could chip in to getting it scanned at some very high resolution and hosting that online here... I think most copy places have pro quality photo scanners these days, but I don't know how much they charge, but we could pay a bit to Rod for his trouble above and beyond, perhaps, as well as giving appropriate credit and making sure that the story is associated with the picture for posterity....
Where would it go? It would go right beside my Steve O'Shea painting and Veronica Ceci painting!

I think that's a great idea (quality replica for a fee). Rod, I'll reach out re: an article, the photo, an permissions.

monty;89194 said:
Gee, if eccentricity is supposed to lead to having money, I'm clearly not getting paid what I deserve :madsci:

The only difference between crazy and eccentric is 7 digits in your bank account...

so i think i'm going to be crazy the forseeable future...:bonk:

monty;89194 said:
I don't know about relocating the pic (where would it go?) but perhaps, if Rod's OK with it, we could chip in to getting it scanned at some very high resolution and hosting that online here... I think most copy places have pro quality photo scanners these days, but I don't know how much they charge, but we could pay a bit to Rod for his trouble above and beyond, perhaps, as well as giving appropriate credit and making sure that the story is associated with the picture for posterity....

I really like this idea: a good quality image and a corresponding article by Rod to set the record straight. It would be a neat history article, and I think it would complement the science and care articles beautifully. Oh, and Cod is a really good read. Short and to the point. Loved it!

Cheers!

I have exchanged a couple of emails with another family member (first name Trudy) regarding this picture. Here are some facts:

- Joe Ezekiel was Trudy's uncle. Rod (who posted earlier in this thread) is her nephew.

- Trudy owns the original negative (to keep it safe) and also has an 11x12 in her home.

- Trudy reached out to me because she wanted to be sure the correct facts were relayed in this thread (I corrected the subject title and seed post accordingly).

- Joe Ezekiel was from Harbour Main Conception Bay Newfoundland. The squid was caught on November 12, 1935.

- The Reader's Digest Book that has the article is Nov. 1982 Pages 107 to 114.

- Uncle Joe was born Sept. 5, 1915 and passed away Jan.9, 1993, not the prior dates given in this thread.

- There was a squid stamp called "The Kraken", commissoned in Oct. 1990, chosen for Eastern Canada. This was presented to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 64 at North Arm Holyrood Feb. 12, 1991.

- Trudy has the write-up in Joe's own words how he caught the squid.

- Per Trudy:
He sold the carcass to a scientist for 10.00 and stored it in the local fish freezer, Fisheries Dept. That night the freezer caught fire and was destroyed. The picture you have on your site wanting to identify this person looks as if it was taken from the negative I have in my possession given to me by my Mother to keep so as not to get lost. It is the only one that i know of, also have the same picture in my home about 11x 12. I would like to know where you got this picture for your site? Hope this can be of some help to you. - Trudy

Thanks Trudy! We're very good at finding squid photos. :smile: Phil, where'd you find the pic?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back