Holiday recipe

I guess youve watched Alton Brown when he constantly repeats "Stuffing is Evil"...well, to each his own... personally i tend to stick to squid since its easier to cook properly and usually cheaper...

I was surprised, I didnt see any Octos at the fish markets this season... Although i did find a place that stocks decent sized (~ foot long) whole squid...

Im going to throw this marinade recipe on here since its a holiday tradition in my family.... i had asked my mom for the recipe several times and finally got it... we usually use it on beef tenderloin for Xmas dinner... ive made it a couple times and know it also goes well with pork, raw tuna, and im pretty sure it'd go fine with chicken as well....

i was shocked when i found out it had ketchup in it.... in my tweaking, ive found that some cracked black pepper and maybe a touch more Worestshire helps it out if the ketchup used is a bit sugary...

1C Ketchup
2t mustard
1/2t Worcestshire sauce
1 1/2 C Water
2 (0.7 oz) envelopes of Italian salad dressing mix

this'll be enough for a 4-6# tenderloin... marinade at least 8hrs....baste the meat as you cook, and keep some around, simmer it and serve it on the side at the table...

good stuff :thumbsup:

I missed this post..... that octo cocktail..... the only difference between it and a sloppily measured silver bullet (the honest and unappetitizing original formula for a martini) is the garnish....

somehow, i wouldnt be surprised if someone who ruins a pizza with ink would drink gin..... :bugout:

as for the salad, leave out the capers and olives and it might work....

gin and capers, the work of :cthulhu:

ERRRRRRRRRRRG!!!! :x :x :x :x :x

I go out to breakfast this morning and what did i not tape?

an episode of good eats.... here's the episode capsule:

Squid Pro Quo
Alton finds himself catering a tailgate party for a group of folks out to catch a glimpse of a mythical sea monster. To commemorate the event, Alton prepares a menu featuring his favorite tailgateable sea monster: squid.

here's the recipe:

1/2 pound squid tentacles and tubes
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup miso broth (1/2 cup water mixed with 1 tablespoon miso paste)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon thinly sliced garlic
1/4 teaspoon minced ginger
2 dried arbol chiles
1/3 cup medium dice sweet onion
1/4 cup torn-into-strips oyster mushrooms
1/3 cup medium dice red bell pepper
Freshly ground white pepper

On a clean cutting board, remove the tentacles from the bodies of the squid and reserve. Make sure the tubes are cleaned out and split them open lengthwise so they look like a flat triangle. Using a matte knife, lightly score the squid in a crosshatch pattern. Cut each tube into four pieces of roughly equal size.
In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of soy sauce with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and toss the squid in it to coat. Marinate while preparing for the rest of the dish. Combine the miso broth and balsamic vinegar with the remaining cornstarch.

In a hot pan or wok, add the sesame oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the squid and cook for 30 to 40 seconds. It will curl up naturally and brown. Working quickly, add the garlic, ginger, and chiles. Allow them to fry for 10 to 15 seconds stirring constantly (they can burn fast). Add the onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper and saute for another minute. Pour in the stock mixture and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Season with white pepper and additional soy sauce, if necessary. Serve over rice.

no problem melissa.....

i whipped up a quite nice sorbet using a cherry lambic and some ripe kiwi... i was wondering if SOS wanted to name the flavor, provided that singers are in no way involved....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back