• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hmmm...?

Lime

O. vulgaris
Registered
Well, I have checked and my LFS said they said they might get some seahorses in sometime. I was wondering that if I got a seahorse, or more, would they stress the octopus, or would the octopus attack it? I'm just not sure with the seahorse - octopus combo. Thanks guys and girls. :smile:

A seahorse will probably be nothing more than an expensive dinner. They are two slow to swim away from an octopus and they have no defenses at all except camouflage. They're also not the easiest things to keep, many will take live food only if they're wild-caught. Captive bred ones will usually take frozen though. If you have an extra tank you could keep them separately - we've had them in the lab and they're lovely pets.

Yes, I know they are hard to take care of. I live close to some streams and the ocean, so I have an endless supply of shrimp on good fishing days. I just really want a seahorse, but yes they are expensive and I don't want to feed my octo like an $100 dinner lol. So maybe I can put a seahorse and an octo together and if it doesn't work out, I will know for future reference. Yes, some of you may think of that as cruel, but it's the circle of life.

if you can get quite small shrimp they are probably a good meal for seahorse - we usually fed ours brine shrimp or guppies, which they like. What kind of seahorse can the LFS get? Some of the larger ones you see in the pet trade are really nice - I can see why you would want one. We got H. erectus from seining for stickleback fish on long island in NY - they are nice but not that colourful.

I really think its a bad idea to put them together, but maybe some others here can offer some more advice on how it might work out if you had a lot of cover for the seahorse to hide in, for instance.

There's nothing much 'circle of life' about putting two captive animals together in an enclosed space and waiting for one to get eaten, sorry.

Well, I didn't mean the circle of life like that but nevermind. I'm not sure what seahorses my LFS sell, I will have to ask next time I go, probably this weekend. Yes, I would be able to get small shrimp and guppies. But I would probably get a new-born seahorse. They are like a quarter-inch big lol. How can I get shrimp or guppies smaller then that? Lol.

well, a really tiny seahorse probably needs mysids or newly-hatched brine shrimp - I would think definitely live food for such a small one. Have you checked out sygnathid.org (a seahorse/pipefish forum)? There will be people there who can provide more specific details of how to raise small seahorses (they are called ponies, so silly since they should be called foals!) You will need some precautions so it won't get sucked into a filter or anything.

Maybe some of the members here have more experience with seahorses - anyone? I've only had adults seahorses in the lab, and one unsuccessful attempt with pipefish hatchlings.

Yeah Rob, I'm gonna try to get my LFS to hold a seahorse for me untill it gets bigger so I can feed it normal food and so it doesn't get sucked into the filter lol. I'm so excited to get one but I still have patience to wait lol. :smile:

i agree with robyn, it isn't a good idea to put the two together because it will not work out. octopus and seahorses are two of the many tank inhabitants we keep in the hobby that will be way better off and thrive in a species only tank. just my opinion but it is the right thing to do to just keep the octopus and plan to set up a tank for seahorses. you will be able to enjoy them separately and still get what you want.

sorry if i sounded like a jerk, just trying to help guide you down the right path.

KLtcb, don't worry, you didn't sound rude. Atm, I have a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. I might be able to get a new one thats bigger for the octopus. If I do, then I will turn the 55 gallon into a reef tank with seahorses, fish, starfish, etc. Just a nice tropical looking tank. :smile:

Sorry Lime, no fish with the seahorses. As someone else tried to point out seahorses are best kept in a species only tank very much like octopuses. No stinging corals, starfish OK, fish not OK. You will have to read as much about keeping seahorses as keeping octopuses and there is a very good forum just for them.

Well, I have done some research, but the websites I found, said it was quite alright for there to be some goldfish or something with seahorses. :\

Several of keep or have kept seahorses for a number of years and I would personally like to read the reference you mention. The site I mentioned gives a decent list of seahorse safe critters (goldfish NOT being among them). We have a member who has had over 10 years of marine experience and has been successful with a mixed tank but it is not something to attempt without years of observation and success.

Alright heres the sites and info. Btw, it was Goby family fish, not goldfish. Just got confused. :S

- Seahorses can co-exist with many species of shrimp and other bottom-feeding creatures. Fish from the goby family also make good tank-mates. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse

- Seahorses can co-exist with many species of shrimp and other bottom-feeding creatures. Fish from the goby family also make good tank-mates.Seahorses can be kept in an aquarium with other seahorses, pipefish, and other non-aggressive, slow moving fish. www.sheppardsoftware.com/content/animals/animals/fish/seahorse.htm

Theres a couple more but can't find atm. So, I'm not talking about putting a seahorse with a pirhana or something, but just like with some gobies.

Certainly most shrimp are acceptable (but may become food) but a mantis shrimp would kill a seahorse so it is important that you keep the details and not chalk them up to "sort of's".

I recommend keeping a list of the place you visit that give you good information so that when the tank is fully cycled and you are ready to add you critters you don't have to "remember" what is safe but can go back and review the lists, pick from them and then go shopping. I keep many such lists in special folders in my Internet Explorer favorites but another way is to send yourself an email with the links and some of your own notes with a good subject line so that you can easily find them. Goldfish are not acceptable, SOME gobies are excellent but keep the links so that you know what KIND of gobies work well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back