• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hmmm...?

Seahorses are considerably harder to keep than octopuses IME. They are much harder to keep than most fish. They need to eat a lot. They have very small digestive systems and can't hold a large meal, so they have to eat small meals throughout the day. Most fish will out compete them for food and that's why it's suggested not to keep them with other fish. Some bottom-dwelling, calm, peaceful gobies might do okay and help out with excess food, but most of your fun, active fish are going to eat all the food before they can get any.

Something else to consider about seahorses is that they are seriously endangered. Make sure you find a captive seahorse source if you do get one/some. They do better in groups. They are highly susceptible to vibrio infections, bloat from excess gasses/airbubbles in the water, internal parasites, and a long list of other issues so mixing them with anything is extremely risky, even other seahorses. They don't swim well so high flow isn't good for them.

Most baby seahorses are about 2 inches long when you buy them. If they're much smaller than that, they are probably dwarf seahorses, and dwarf seahorses need LIVE FOOD constantly. They are even more difficult to keep than the larger species.

i agree animal mother, i set up a 12g nano for dwarfs but decided not to until i can set up atleast a 30g.

ive seen on various forums people who keep seahorses with other fish such as gobies, manderins, one had a hawkfish etc. it IS possible to keep fish and seahorses but it is NOT the right thing to do and is somewhat cruel imo. its like putting a kitten in a cage with a rotwieller or something. they are better off being seperate. i like your idea of doing a 55 reef with the seahorses. i dont know much about coral but im sure there is a great variety for you to choose from to make it the type of tank you want.

Most soft corals and gorgonias are fine with seahorses and make great "hitching posts" for them. I would avoid any LPS though since ponies tend to wrap their tails around whatever sticks out and LPS are stingy.

Yeah, I understand that fish will beat the seahorses to the food which is why, I would feed the by hand and make sure they acctually eat, then I could feed the fish. Plus I wouldn't want to waste shrimp or something on just some fish lol. I could just some fish food. :smile:

Lime;123845 said:
Yeah, I understand that fish will beat the seahorses to the food which is why, I would feed the by hand and make sure they acctually eat, then I could feed the fish. Plus I wouldn't want to waste shrimp or something on just some fish lol. I could just some fish food. :smile:

That's what you think. In a perfect world...

You need to get to know these animals before you make assumptions like that. Sorry, that only happens for Dr. Do-little.

Lime;123845 said:
I would feed the by hand and make sure they acctually eat, then I could feed the fish.

If
you can get the seahorses to allow you to hand feed them, are you really going to have time to do this several times a day for the rest of their lives?

I didn't mean hand feed them, but I ment make sure the fish don't get the food. Take the fish out if I have to. Maybe I don't know what I'm getting in to, but I will learn and I will do well as I have always done. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back