Hit or miss...

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Is anybody out there familiar with an octopus goddess from the Solomon Islands by the name of Hit? Evidently her rites involve some kind of writhing erotic tentacle dance. Does this cult still exist? Not that I'm interested in joining or anything, but a burlesque dancer friend of mine is thinking of incorporating this into her act if possible. Any info possible would be appreciated. Thanks!

spartacus said:
check with Phil, he knows everything & everyone worth knowing.

You kidding me? I make most of it up you know. I had never heard of Hit but then I don't know where exactly the Solomon Islands are either, aside from a general notion of somewhere in Oceania!

Godchecker lists two other other octopus gods, the oceanic deities Fe-e from Samoa and Na-Kika from the Gilbert Islands. Fe-e had a temple built on Samoa in his honour and was the god of war.

Erich... you could get your friend to rig up a harness to keep two fans sticking up as if bat wings and go to the fish market and grab a nonlive octopus and plop it on her head... afterwards, she could even donate the octo to a local soup kitchen or something....

:cthulhu: :heart: burlesque (not talking about greg this time :smile: )

Hullo All,

Although I think such a goddess exists, my source for her existence heard it from somebody else who read it somewhere, and frankly, the name "Hit" doesn't sound remotely Melanesian to me. I think the name has evolved from the original source.

The legend that I was told:

This octopus goddess had a human son who lived in the Solomon chain (where Guadalcanal is). He wanted to marry a girl Mommy didn't approve of. As a result, she wasn't invited to the wedding ceremony. Just as the wedding was underway, she showed-up outside and put a spell over everybody with her writhing, erotic tentacle dance. This caused the wedding party to forget everything, join in the dance, and ultimately grab the nearest suitable person for purposes of crazed... well, you know. Needless to say, this ruined the wedding. Supposedly, rites were still being performed in some modified, more-symbolic fashion up until recently. I certainly hope this isn't some pagan-ceph urban legend. The whole embittered-goddess-not-invited-to-the-party-extracting-her-revenge thing seems fairly universal in terms of mythology; does any of that seem familiar to anybody? My searches have proven fruitless where this octo-gal is concerned, although thanks for tips on other Oceanic ceph-gods are in order. Help has been deeply appreciated.

Glubs and Squishes,
Erich

erich orser said:
The whole embittered-goddess-not-invited-to-the-party-extracting-her-revenge thing seems ....

Now if grammar-nazi Kat was here she'd have to respond 'nice hyphenation', but she's not, so I have to comment for the second time only on these pages. 'Nice hyphenation' Erich.

Steve O'Shea said:
Now if grammar-nazi Kat was here she'd have to respond 'nice hyphenation', but she's not, so I have to comment for the second time only on these pages. 'Nice hyphenation' Erich.

actually she could probably just translate it into german.... im sure they have a word for it.... (it may be 10-15 syllables long but one word none the less)

:smile:

erich orser said:
the name "Hit" doesn't sound remotely Melanesian to me. I think the name has evolved from the original source.

I once new a girl called Melanie, she had a very round, yellow head !
Just coz Kat is hot on hyphens, don't think for a minute that you can get away with bad apostrophication either :grad:

Keef

There are many reason why I'm not an English teacher. I'd go into them, but I should think they are quite obvious by now. Oops. :roll:

Erich :oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back