• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hi! I have a couple of S. bandensis questions.

Just an observation to offer...

I have had in a few instances experience deaths that begin occurring when my temp hits 81 degrees Fahrenheit, so 27 Celsius is pushing the limit.

My temp range goes from anywhere between 74-80 degrees and have been pretty successful maintaining breeding bandensis and a full blown reef.

In regards to higher temps = shorter life span, I haven't really noticed a shorter life span from keeping them in the higher 70s vs the lower 70s. The only thing Ive seen affect life span is finding better foods. Switching from shore crabs to grass shrimps as the adult diet seemed to increase lifespan and size.

djdime;136057 said:
got a guppy breeder, too small, this is prob 12 x 12 so its perfect. cant take from above as my wavemaker makes it too turbulant lol i have like 60 x turnover

Ah...what units are the dimensions in?
I want a wavemaker...kind of :P but 60x turnover?! Daym. I don't even have a pump that can do that for my 10gallon tank...:lol:

Paradox;136069 said:
Just an observation to offer...

I have had in a few instances experience deaths that begin occurring when my temp hits 81 degrees Fahrenheit, so 27 Celsius is pushing the limit.

My temp range goes from anywhere between 74-80 degrees and have been pretty successful maintaining breeding bandensis and a full blown reef.

In regards to higher temps = shorter life span, I haven't really noticed a shorter life span from keeping them in the higher 70s vs the lower 70s. The only thing Ive seen affect life span is finding better foods. Switching from shore crabs to grass shrimps as the adult diet seemed to increase lifespan and size.

This frightens me very much, as on hot days, my tank can get up to 32 deg. celsius. I am going to improve my cooling measures by adding foil to the back side of the black corrugated plastic board that shades the tank. I am probably going to get fans for the refugium and the main tank and maybe an air pump to cool the water with the air...I can't really afford a chiller...

Anyway, he/she ate a very small crab today (finally, it means I don't have to keep going out to net shrimp) and also a gammarus. I collected a lot of gammarus this morning and hope that they will multiply all over the tank to provide supplemental food. Do gammarus prey on other pods? I want the other pods as well...

I'm trying to convince him/her to eat de-shelled hermit crabs. They seem to be the easiest to collect. I will take note of your advice on the shrimp, though. I can find similar shrimp nearby.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back