hi i am new member and need help

letysjim

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I have a baby Octopus and what will be good to feed him . i had hermit crabs and emeral card in the tank with live rock ' He hids a lot and I have never seen him come out only one time so what do i need to do

what is there to do? You could put a few toys in there (baby toys, legos ext.) maby set up a seporate feeding tank and only feed at a set time of day. just a few suggestions,

-Tom

Welcome to Tonmo! If you could give us some of the features of your tank set up, ie: size, filtration, lighting, etc...we could help you a lot easier...it sounds like your normal octopus behaviour to hide though, until they get used to you.
Be sure to read the Ceph Care sheets by Nancy and Colin here on Tonmo.com, the articles will clear up a lot for you initially.
best,

Greg

You purchased an EBAY octo from Dana right?
Octopus briareus. Tropical Nocturnal Octo.
I used fiddlers purchased online to feed my octo.
Might try some red LEDS to get him more active during the day
and i bet you hes out plenty and he hides so well you cant see him :smile:
Megas used to be on a rock right next to the front of the tank and i would look all over for him before he would move and id spot him.

How is the little guy
did Dana ship him right
did he ink
tell us :smile:

:welcome: and good luck! You can try a variety of live food. Fiddler crabs and shore shrimp are a good place to start. Try to stay away from fresh water food (like goldfish or ghost shrimp), they do not have the nutritional value that an octopus requires.

yes i got it from dana he is my friend , but I wanted a smaller one . My Oct tank is 55 gallion it has a tower with 3 holes so he can hide in . and also three damsels so it it a safe for the oct . I have it now in a 10 gallon tank but will put it in today with a live rock . another question will this oct eat the Damsels

Mizu said:
You purchased an EBAY octo from Dana right?
Octopus briareus. Tropical Nocturnal Octo.
I used fiddlers purchased online to feed my octo.
Might try some red LEDS to get him more active during the day
and i bet you hes out plenty and he hides so well you cant see him :smile:
Megas used to be on a rock right next to the front of the tank and i would look all over for him before he would move and id spot him.

How is the little guy
did Dana ship him right
did he ink
tell us :smile:
he just keeps hiding and he turn green when I put the rock and water in a bucket 'he fell out of the rock and started to crawl up the bucket . but when i put the rock back he went there

cthulhu77 said:
Welcome to Tonmo! If you could give us some of the features of your tank set up, ie: size, filtration, lighting, etc...we could help you a lot easier...it sounds like your normal octopus behaviour to hide though, until they get used to you.
Be sure to read the Ceph Care sheets by Nancy and Colin here on Tonmo.com, the articles will clear up a lot for you initially.
best,

Greg
I just bought a 55 tank setup with Light and hoods and filter . A live rock and a tower with holes . I will also put a pvc pipe in there soon so it will be like a cave . more live rock is comming this next week

Ahhh. what sort of filter did you get? Some work better than others for keeping octopus.
Good call on the live rock, you can really never have too much!

greg

hi all again
My tank has been set up for 2 weeks with hermit crabs and I had the water tested yesterday and the nitrates was high but the amminioa and nitration was in range perfect . I been adding bactrica everyday for 10 days and have stopped .the Octopus was in my seahorse tank with out the seahorses I moved them temporay . the water in the sea horse tank was the same as the new tank for the OCTopus . so he is in there now . I montior everything and have 6 saltwater tanks .The damsels are in there but are very small and I will take them out in a week just to make sure all is ok . I put the OCTopus in and he went after a crab and this moring I looked and he waved at me from the rock. He seems very content . I know the Amminoa tends to rise for 2 days after adding a fish and will montior this very carefully .I am not experianced with OCtoppus , but I am so interested in The ocean . I did also a water change and adding this water to the tank which the Octpus is in now

I am sure you are experienced with salt water tanks since you have six. But there is no way your tank has cycled in 2 weeks. Octopus produce a lot of waste (because they eat a lot!) and this will affect your tank chemistry. You need to get nitrate, nitrite and ammonia as close to zero as possible because octopus are very sensitive. Are you using RO/DI water?

cuttlegirl said:
I am sure you are experienced with salt water tanks since you have six. But there is no way your tank has cycled in 2 weeks. Octopus produce a lot of waste (because they eat a lot!) and this will affect your tank chemistry. You need to get nitrate, nitrite and ammonia as close to zero as possible because octopus are very sensitive. Are you using RO/DI water?
I use r/o water and aronite sand with live rock . one partner was right I removed the Damsels because the octopus was threatend when he came out he released someting that floated to the top but not sure if this was ink .it was light color . but the damsels are out and I had to kill them because I only use them as test fish Yes I have been in saltwater for years , but must admit I am brand new to this so thanks for all the help

There are some new instant cycling compounds available on the market, we've used them in some of the museum tank setups, but they are really expensive...what type of liquid bacteria are you using?
Although I prefer to cycle in the traditional way, there isn't anything wrong with trying new methods...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back