• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hi guys!!!

Its funny because I know some people whos dog ate a chocolate cake, with no ill effects. He obviously loved the taste- which surprised me given that it's toxic to them. I think some dogs are more succeptable than others maybe.

On the fresh vrs marine food thing dont worry, I'll be going totally marine, but I'm just interested in the idea. I was just thinking that any nutrients that are only available in marine food would be accounted for via marine supplimentation. Clearly a little marine would be better than none at all, I was thinking it might have a more pronounced effect.

For example the difference between a 90% marine diet and a 85% marine diet is probably neglegible, but maybe the difference between a 5% marine and a 0% marine might be much larger. Its kinda hard to explain what I mean.

Jean said:
We collect them from the beach and for large crabs we set out crab pots (the Lab/Aquarium has a fishing permit for that). Many species won't take dead food (Our NZ species are very reluctant....actually if it isn't alive they won't look at it!).

He does, its called (I think! :biggrin2:) "the octopus, cuttlefish and squid of Australasia"

Yeah I can get into educator mode very easily! :grad: But I feel very strongly about feeding the appropriate food to captive animals (I'm sure you all noticed that!) If we are going to keep them in an unnatural environment for our enjoyment and/or education then the onus is on us to feed them as well (or better) than they would get in the wild..............OK I'll climb down from my soapbox now :oops:

J

PS anyway I'm not the TOP poster, I still got some to go to beat him!!!!!!!

Thanks Jean!
I'll buy this book!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back