Hi from Indonesia

Hi Allonautilus,

That's a excellent point about fossils of Nautilus itself, afterall, I think it has barely changed in 30m years or so. I'm not aware of any but that doesn't mean anything...soft-bodied fossils of Nautilus, or the lack of, may indeed imply a close analogue to ammonoids. I am certain there are no soft-bodied nautiloid fossils unfortunately. I like your thoughts a great deal there.

I think ammonite eyes may have been more highly developed than the Nautilus pinhole-type as occasional rare fossils have been found displaying striking visual colour patterns; though I suppose such patterns may arguably have been used to confuse predators by breaking up the outline. It's hard to imagine lappets being used for any other purpose than visual display for courtship though as these are only found on the males of some species. I expect they were highly visual animals, inded, unlike Nautilus they had many forms that lived in the shallow brightly-lit upper layers of the ocean too.

All the best!

Dear Phil,

Thank you so much for enlightening me with all of these. I am agree with you that ammonites might have advanced eyes with lenses in their
life. I don't think pinhole eyes just like those found on nautilus can pass the optical information correctly when subjected to the bright lighting of shallow water. And yes, the lappets, I imagined them brightly colored to attract females.

Wish someone discovered a living species of ammonite, or at least, the fossilized soft body.....haha, who knows, the ocean herself is largely unexplored, even until now :wink: . What floats in the dark blue, watery depths of the ocean cannot be seen immediately, even just a few metres away, unlike the way we see birds flying in the sky.

And again, thank you! Your opinions are definitely great pieces of rare information that I can never find elsewhere :smile:

Best Wishes,

-agha.]

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back