• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hey guys I finally got Dr. Octavius in ,has nice home 240 g

k

is there a place u can buy a maybe 3 foot wide by 9 foot roll of some type of screen then ?

imean i dont want to go buy a screen door and just use the screen haha

I would do this if I coudl find the screen somwhere

the two glass pieces i have on the tank , cover all but the back 4 inches of the aquarium , so i can screen that in , , and then I only have the filter part to worry about

and when i get my overflows and my sjmp set up

i am some how going to have to come up with somethign to glue or something on my glass overflows to keep the octo out of the overflows
when i bought my tank , it came with the overflows, but not teeth

maybe i coudl use screen on it to or something

Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc all sell nylon screening by the roll...it will probably set you back about 4 or 5 dollars...you can attach it to the glass or plastic with duct tape, or hot glue...don't use silicone, as your tank has already got an occupant, and the outgassing is toxic!!!
good luck on your mission, if you choose to accept it...this message will self destruct in 5 minutes...

ok

ok , i have a ace hardware real close
Ill go and ask about it tommorow and get hot glue , or soemthing

I think I can get it to where it will work really well

I could even do this to my overflows

im worried about him gettin gout tonight though

, hopefully he wont , he hasnt moved very much today

did u see the picture that I posted of him

I hope he grows fast, cause in this 240 , its hard to spot him , even when he is out

it was a very nice picture...and you were right in stating that bimacs aren't too prone to venturing out above water (perhaps due to the habitat...more gulls than a convention there), but to be safe, I would recommend fastening some nylon screen to the exposed areas...
good luck !!!! I am sure it will work out just fine...
greg

Yes, bimacs are less prone to escape. However, another case of a bimac escaping and perishing was reported to me this week. That makes four that I know of.

Be creative and you'll find lots of ways to cover your spaces. I used netting and ductape and kept a roll of fresh ductape right by the tank so I could easily replace any piece that was getting damp. I put some fresh pieces on every night. You can't use the ductape underwater or where it gets wet, but you usually can find a workaround.

Nancy

thanx

i saw him this morning in a different spot, but he doesnt move, the only movement he has is him breathing

I know weveryone says its normal ,but I am still worried lol

I did notice him eating a few crabs and stuff though when I firt put him in and I guess thatts a good sign , becasue I have heard that some people's octos wont eat for like 2 weeks

oh and another reason I may not be seeing him crawl around is because I didnt catch all the crabs and snails out of there before he came in , so he may be doing his eating when I am not lookin g

Your octopus is being quite normal. He's keeing himself hidden to make sure nothing finds and eats him! He doesn't realize that he's safe now.
Not a bad idea to have a bit of live food in the tank, either.

Nancy

k

well he has that

about 60 or so hermits and 30 snails, and hes got 3 damsels to eat whenever he gets ready

and i think there are 2 emerald crabs isn there as well

k

hey again guys

hm ,

when i get this nylon netting in

I got told to glue it down

what is the best kidn of glue ?

JUST ANY KIND??

or do i need to get hot glue , like the glue you put in the guns and squeen it out , ?

whatever it is , I want it to be stron , cause im going to rig my overflow boxes with this netting so the octopus cant get sucked down into the sump

You might want to try the mentioned duct tape instead of hot glue at first...it is easier to figure out how you want the whole thing to work...and it is easily replaceable!!!
greg

well

today is the 4th day ive had him and now he doesnt hide everytime i walk in , but he stays in the same spot , he is eating at night,
i noticed today that there are two emerald crab claws laying on the ground with the rest of the crab missing , so HE IS EATING. which im excited about becasue , i hear some peoples new octos dont eat for two weeks.

im trying to get my sump and everything hooked up asap , and my skimmer
but im n ot really worried about it now as he is young and little, because i had three messy tangs, and 8 other fish in there with no skimmer and my nitrates and everything read 0

Glad that all is going well, but yes, get that skimmer hooked up ! One ink and you can crash a system!!
Merry Christmas!
greg

huh?

one little bitty ink in that huge 240 can crash a system?

i can put my skimmer in the tank , but im worried about him getting sucked in the intake

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back