Hey guys I finally got Dr. Octavius in ,has nice home 240 g

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
thanx

i saw him this morning in a different spot, but he doesnt move, the only movement he has is him breathing

I know weveryone says its normal ,but I am still worried lol

I did notice him eating a few crabs and stuff though when I firt put him in and I guess thatts a good sign , becasue I have heard that some people's octos wont eat for like 2 weeks

oh and another reason I may not be seeing him crawl around is because I didnt catch all the crabs and snails out of there before he came in , so he may be doing his eating when I am not lookin g

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Your octopus is being quite normal. He's keeing himself hidden to make sure nothing finds and eats him! He doesn't realize that he's safe now.
Not a bad idea to have a bit of live food in the tank, either.

Nancy

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
k

well he has that

about 60 or so hermits and 30 snails, and hes got 3 damsels to eat whenever he gets ready

and i think there are 2 emerald crabs isn there as well

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
k

hey again guys

hm ,

when i get this nylon netting in

I got told to glue it down

what is the best kidn of glue ?

JUST ANY KIND??

or do i need to get hot glue , like the glue you put in the guns and squeen it out , ?

whatever it is , I want it to be stron , cause im going to rig my overflow boxes with this netting so the octopus cant get sucked down into the sump

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
You might want to try the mentioned duct tape instead of hot glue at first...it is easier to figure out how you want the whole thing to work...and it is easily replaceable!!!
greg

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
well

today is the 4th day ive had him and now he doesnt hide everytime i walk in , but he stays in the same spot , he is eating at night,
i noticed today that there are two emerald crab claws laying on the ground with the rest of the crab missing , so HE IS EATING. which im excited about becasue , i hear some peoples new octos dont eat for two weeks.

im trying to get my sump and everything hooked up asap , and my skimmer
but im n ot really worried about it now as he is young and little, because i had three messy tangs, and 8 other fish in there with no skimmer and my nitrates and everything read 0

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Glad that all is going well, but yes, get that skimmer hooked up ! One ink and you can crash a system!!
Merry Christmas!
greg

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
huh?

one little bitty ink in that huge 240 can crash a system?

i can put my skimmer in the tank , but im worried about him getting sucked in the intake

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
I thought the skimmer was going in the sump???will have to re read this bit...
the chances of a full blown crash are small, but better safe than sorry...I have seen tanks larger than yours crash in the space of half an hour, while everyone watched in horror...amazing, really...
greg

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
well yes

it is going in the sump
but I dotn know how to plumb and Im not sure how im going to make my overflows to where he cant get in them, cause i dont have bulid in teeth , they are just glass overflows with nothing on them

so I stuck the skimmer in the tank,

i dont think its that hideous looking

he doesnt seem to mind., plus it puts more oxygen in teh water correct ?

thats a big plus

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
its ok

he reached out for a crawdad yestrerday but it swam away, he didnt get enough of a suction on it ,

i didnt see him eat the other two , and may not have , they were laying on the sand dead, it looked like their stomachs were eatan ,

do they not eat the whole thing?

if they do eat the whole thing , its likely that my snails ate them when they died.

ILl take soem more pictures tonight if everyone will come back and look

oh, also, he sstill doesnt venture around and crawl eveywhere ive had him i think over a week now

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
They don't eat the shell and sometimes they leave other parts, too.
So you have plenty to clean up after a crawfish!

As for not moving around a lot, give him a little more time.

Nancy

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
ok

i just have been reading everywhere where others are crawling around after about 4 or 5 days and mine doesn tdo that , but it could be casue he has such a big tank to look out for enemies for

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Bear in mind that octopuses have different personalities - maybe yours isn't ready to come out on his own much yet.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
also, its worth taking out uneaten food and the shells too as leaving shells of crustaeceans can increase phosphates

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
really how is that

really , how does it do that

im not even sure what my phosphatea re to be honestl

thats one parameter i dint have test for ,

though she is fine and has been for a week and a half