• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hey guys Cuddle fish question..I am a newb be nice :)

kharn101

Hatchling
Registered
Hey guys after reading the thread before you buy a cuddle fish i have a few question...i am most likely going to get this species...
Sepia bandensis....alright now that is done..i want to keep them in a reef tank about 10 gallons. Its going to have a fuge:old:. Will that be okay? i know the eat hermit crabs and shrimps so i will get rid of the cleaner shrimp and leave the rest for treats. Now for the live food. I want to get the 200 mysis shrimp and just toss them in my fuge.. It may be a silly question, but how do i feed them? Thanks looking forward to learn alot from this site :smile:

:welcome: 10 gallons is really too small for Sepia bandensis. We recommend at least 29 gallon but 55 gallon would be better. In a ten gallon they will not have enough room to move around and since they produce a lot of waste, you are going to have some water chemistry issues.

As for feeding them, they only eat mysid shrimp for the first month or so, after that they can eat shore shrimp. You just put the live shrimp in the water and the cuttlefish will find them.

hmm..intresting.....is there anything that i can put in a 10 gallon tank...no blue ring please :frown:. I thought the species was only 4 inches the nano one right? Sorry for being stubborn just want to see if i can put anything in a 10 gallon tank? i do have another 30 oceanic cube setup already..just thought since it was small i could put it in a small tank? Thanks..

:welcome: to TONMO.

Unfortunately, I pretty much have to second what Cuttlegirl said (she knows more than I do anyway!): we really don't recommend any cephs for a tank that small... they produce much, much more waste than a similarly-sized fish, and are very sensitive to water quality... a bandensis in the 30 would be a much better choice, although it's worth noting that even there, it will be a bit cramped when an adult, and you'll probably want to have extra filtration.

kharn101;117976 said:
hmm..intresting.....is there anything that i can put in a 10 gallon tank...no blue ring please :frown:. I thought the species was only 4 inches the nano one right? Sorry for being stubborn just want to see if i can put anything in a 10 gallon tank? i do have another 30 oceanic cube setup already..just thought since it was small i could put it in a small tank? Thanks..

Even though a S. bandensis would fit in a 10 gallon tank, it needs space to swim around. A cat fits in a cat carrier, but it prefers to roam around the entire house.

just a suggestion... You could put some baffles in the 10 gal and make it into a sump although i only think you'd have room for a skimmer and a return chamber. I had to make the decision to tear down my 45 tall to set up a 75 because i felt that it would be unfair to the bimac that i'm eventually going to get. small tanks make me sad man and beside bigger is always better:sly:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back