hex is getting old i think

well hex has reached the time of old age. i believe he is around 10-12 months old. his reactions have slowed considerably and one of his eyes has completely whited over. the other still looks ok but you can tell its getting a little hazy. he doesnt really like having to chase after the fiddlers i just bought him so im continuing to feed him the frozen shrimp which he is still eating. now he mostly sits around on the back of the tank or in the corners in a drab gray costume and only occasionally lights up for me. the legs havent started corkscrewing yet so im guessing hes still got a few more weeks left maybe.

i dont know what i want to go into the tank after hex... im debating between another octo, cuttlefish, or a local fish tank (which would contain fish and inverts from around the SC area such as sargassum fish, and other creatures from the floating sargassum mats off shore, inverts such as pistol shrimp and mantis shrimp and spider crabs, and just local fish)... the availability of the octopus and the local fish are about the same, pretty easy to get, the cuttlefish are going to be a little more of a challenge though. let me hear your ideas though...

Ahhh...Unfortunately it has to happen. In the age are you including his age on arrival? Ink too had what seemed to be cataracts towards the end. It's sad but I feel so fortunate to be able to share at least a few months of their short lives. I hope he continues on for a while.

Carol

Sorry to hear about hex. Hope he sticks around for a little while longer for ya.
I think it would be great to have a local tank. Maybe it's just because that's where I would go next. I've had cuttlefish plenty times before, it would be something new. But then again, once your hearts been bitten by an octo its hard to just go with anything else. :smile:

Local tanks are certainly interesting. Since I don't have local, being inland in Texas, I'd thought about doing someone else's local (Florida Reef tank, for instance). But one thing about it, once you set up a local tank, it would be hard to change back to octopus and cuttles - not so hard to go the other direction.

Local tanks are certainly interesting. Since I don't have local, being inland in Texas, I'd thought about doing someone else's local (Florida Reef tank, for instance). But one thing about it, once you set up a local tank, it would be hard to change back to octopus and cuttles - not so hard to go the other direction.

Sorry about Hex. He's been around for a long time.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back